Belfast Telegraph

Hamilton just great for Glens

Glentoran 3, Lisburn Distillery 0

By Chris Holt

Glentoran stormed into the Co Antrim Sheild semi-finals last night after an emphatic win over Lisburn Distillery at the Oval.

Alan McDonald's men barely got out of second gear as goals from David Scullion, Michael Halliday and Gary Hamilton, with his eighth of the season, kept up the east Belfast men's 100% start to the season.

The Glens pushed forward from the outset, obviously wanting to get this one over and done with as early as possible, and they could have, perhaps, been a couple of goals to the good by the midway point of the first half.

Halliday glanced a header wide after eight minutes and soon after when Scullion went on a great run through the middle Hamilton pulled away and let fly from 20 yards, but his shot was well over.

Distillery were feeling the pressure and Elliott Morris, back in the Glentoran goal after injury, was a virtual by-stander.

At the other end, the home side continued to press and Philip Matthews did well to get down low to flick away a Hamilton cross.

The international striker was then guilty of a bad miss on 20 minutes when Michael Ward's ball from the right found Hamilton unmarked eight yards out but his unchallenged header flew wide.

It was only going to be a matter of time before the home side found the net and when they did it was well worth waiting the half an hour for.

Scullion took the ball on the left flank and cut inside onto his right foot before curling exquisitely into the far corner from 25 yards past a bemused Matthews.

A Hamilton free-kick was tipped over the bar before the inevitable second goal arrived. This time Hamilton, at the heart of everything for the Glens, turned provider for Halliday to head home from four yards out.

Peter McCann had Distillery's only chance in the first half but his weak shot barely troubled Morris.

It was more of the same after the break although Distillery looked a little more composed than they were in the first half.

Still, it didn't stop the Glens pushing for more and after hitting the crossbar on 69 minutes, a minutes later Hamilton finally added to his seven goals for the season when Kyle Neill's free-kick was flicked on and headed in by the ace marksman.

GLENTORAN: Morris, Nixon, S Ward, Simpson, Neill, M Ward, Leeman, Berry, Scullion, Scullion, Halliday, Hamilton. Subs: McGovern, Carson, Hill, Hamill, BJ McMenamin.

LISBURN DISTILLERY: Matthews, Youle, Thompson, Buchanan, Muir, P McCann, R McCann, Kilmartin, Shaw, Johnston, Browne. Subs: Ferguson, Colling, McConnell, J McMenamin, Ward.

Referee: Adrian McCourt (Bangor).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph