Belfast Telegraph

Hughes' double has Town on the rise

By Gareth McCullough

Stephen Hughes' double gave Warrenpoint Town their first win in six league games as they moved out of the bottom two on goal difference with an excellent win over Glenavon at Stangmore Park.

Town took the lead on 14 minutes when Daniel Hughes' persistence paid off on the edge of the area. He charged down Kris Lindsay's attempted clearance and with James McGrath out of his goal, slipped the ball across the six-yard box to his brother Stephen to stroke into the empty net.

The Lurgan Blues almost equalised in spectacular fashion on 17 minutes when Brian McCaul lashed in a brilliant dipping volley from 25 yards that looked to be sailing into the top corner only for Johnathan Parr to leap to his left and pull off a stunning one handed save.

The visitors had two more gilt-edged chances to draw level before the half hour and both fell to young centre-back Jordan Dane, the first a free-kick and the second a corner, but both times he failed to get enough contact on his headers and they fell wide of the goal.

Gary Hamilton's men did equalise five minutes after the restart, through McCaul's first goal for Glenavon this season.

Guy Bates outmuscled Shaun Parr before sliding the ball through to McCaul 25 yards out, he moved forward before firing in a swerving shot that deceived Parr in the Warrenpoint goal.

Warrenpoint and should have regained the lead on 64 minutes. Shaun Parr spread the ball wide right to Liam Bagnall, who crossed for Daniel Hughes 12 yards out. The striker misshit his shot, the ball fell to Paudie Smith, who shot straight at James McGrath from six yards out.

They did get their second goal two minutes later. Mark Hughes broke clear on the left and played a one-two with Smith before squaring to Stephen Hughes who sidefooted home from close range for his second goal of the match.

Warrenpoint Town: J Parr, King, M Hughes, Moan, Cowan, Bagnall, S Parr, Smith (Grant 75 mins), S Hughes (Havern 84 mins), D Hughes, McCabe. Subs not used: Kearns, McMullan.

Glenavon: McGrath, Shannon, Neill, Lindsay, Dane (McCallion 58 mins), Kilmartin, Martyn, McGrory, Mulvenna (Hamilton 75 mins), Bates, McCaul (Patton 82 mins). Subs not used: Rainey, Singleton

Referee: Andrew Davey (Bangor).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph