Belfast Telegraph

Linfield smash Dundela with five in Co Antrim Shield tie at Windsor Park

Linfield 5-0 Dundela

By David Mason

'Pistol' Peter Thompson fired Linfield into the quarter-finals of the Toals County Antrim Shield at Windsor Park.

The former Northern Ireland international demonstrated he was back to full fitness following a horrible broken arm injury and he duly punished battling Dundela with a hat-trick of trademark finishes.

Thompson shot the Blues in front midway through the first half before supplying the finishing touch to an exquisite Kirk Millar cross early in the second period.

Substitute Aaron Burns added to the Belfast Telegraph Championship 1 team's agony by drilling in a third, before Thompson claimed his hat-trick.

Burns still wasn't finished as he gobbled up his second of the night two minutes from time.

Even with eight alterations to the team that lost at home to Glenavon on Saturday – only goalkeeper Johnny Tuffey, defender Mark Haughey and midfielder Stephen Lowry survived – Linfield dominated from the off.

Surprisingly, it took them 24 minutes to prise open the Duns back line.

And, it was a real messy affair.

Jamie Mulgrew's piercing right wing dash created the chance for Chris Hegarty, whose header was prodded off the line by Scott Collins only for Thompson to stab home the rebound.

On 12 minutes, Millar's endeavour on the left carved out an opening for Clarke, who headed straight at goalkeeper Jonathan Sergeart.

'Pistol Pete' should really have done better with a free header on 19 minutes, but he lofted Millar's corner kick high and wide.

Andy Waterworth stung the hands of Sergeant on 22 minutes, the shot stopper getting down brilliantly to paw the ball past the post.

Seconds after Thompson's breakthrough, Sean Ward tried his luck from distance but the ball skimmed past the post.

The jet-heeled Clarke looked to have grabbed a second goal only for Sergeant to finger-tip his drive over the top. The over-worked keeper produced yet another wonder save on 34 minutes, again getting down to repel a stunning effort from Ward.

Thompson required a mere four minutes of the new half to hit the killer second.

Again Millar was the orchestrator, with a sizzling left wing run before firing over for the former Northern Ireland striker to side-foot home.

Substitute Burns piled on the agony by hammering home the third, two minutes after replacing Stephen Lowry.

The Duns were denied a late moment of glory when Nathan Jones' cross found substitute Bryon Zepo, but Tuffey ushered his shot past the post.

Thompson struck again four minutes from time, finishing off a wonderful piece of individual play from Burns.

And, the substitute still wasn't finished as he lashed in the fifth two minutes from time, with Millar again the supplier.

LINFIELD: Tuffey, Ward, Hegarty, Haughey, Quinn, Clarke, Millar, Lowry (Burns 65), Mulgrew (Callacher 71), Waterworth (McElroy 67), Thompson. Subs not used: Glendinning, Carvill.

DUNDELA: Sergeant, Gibson, Collins, Keenan (Zepo 71), Owens, Ferguson (Herron 80, Jones, McCain, McClelland, West (Halliday 63), Simms. Subs not used: Gourley, Murphy.

Referee: I McNabb (Carrickfergus).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph