Belfast Telegraph

McBride leads by example for 10-man Derry City

Shamrock Rovers 0 Derry City 1

By Eoin Wilson

A second-half goal from captain Ryan McBride gave 10-man Derry City a magnificent win against Shamrock Rovers.

McBride struck his first goal in 18 months to give the Candystripes the points at Tallaght for the second season in a row.

The win was all the more impressive given that Derry had to play the final 20 minutes with only 10 men following the dismissal of Lukas Schubert.

Derry really should have opened the scoring just 15 seconds in. A huge gap appeared in the Rovers defence and Ronan Curtis was able to slip the ball to Barry McNamee. The midfielder went for goal but his effort was too close to goalkeeper Tomer Chencinski.

It was proving to be a tense game with chances few and far between and it took 41 minutes for Gerard Doherty to be tested, but even that was an easy save from a Brandon Miele free-kick.

The two teams were well matched but there was an undoubted tension creeping into the game and tempers began to rise, with Sean Boyd going into referee Graham Kelly's book for a lunge at Schubert.

A tense first half very nearly ended in a goal for Derry as Nicky Low sent a brilliant curling cross into the Rovers penalty area, and Harry Monaghan drifted in and glanced a header past Chencinski but just wide of the post.

Both teams showed more ambition in the opening minutes of the second half with Ryan Connolly flicking a header at goal before Ronan Curtis saw a shot deflected just wide for a corner.

Rovers went to sleep at that set-piece with Low's pull back along the ground falling perfectly for Curtis but the forward fluffed his lines.

The game exploded into life on 67 minutes when, from Derry's fifth corner, the ball fell to Nathan Boyle in the area, and the striker did brilliantly to hold the ball up, allowing captain McBride to lash it into the Rovers net to make it 1-0.

Just minutes later, Derry were put on the back foot when Schubert, already on a yellow card, kicked the ball away.

The ball was out of play when he did so, but it was still enough to earn a second yellow from referee Kelly, leaving Derry to fend with 10 men for the last 19 minutes. They did so heroically to make it two wins from two this season.

Shamrock Rovers: Chencinski, Madden, Devine, Webster, Clarke (Heaney 45), McAllister (Doona 77), Connolly, Finn, Miele, Meenan, Boyd (O'Connor 56)

Derry City: Doherty, Jarvis, Barry, McBride, Schubert, McEneff, Low, McNamee, Curtis, Boyle (Timlin 83), Monaghan.

Referee: Graham Kelly.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph