Belfast Telegraph

Rory Patterson sees red mist as Derry hold on for point

By Eoin Wilson

Bohemians 1 Derry City 1: Rory Patterson was sent off on his return to the Derry City team as Roddy Collins men came away from Dalymount Park with a hard fought point.

The strilker, whose omission has been the subject of much debate recently, received a straight red card just before half time as he went in high on Dave Mulcahy.

The incident came just moments after Patrick McEleney had grabbed a spectacular equaliser for the Candystripes to cancel out Jason Byrne's early goal.

Bohemians' Dinny Corcoran was also red carded early in the second half, but there was little in the way of goalmouth action afterwards as Derry held on for their eighth draw in 11 games.

There were just 72 seconds on the clock when Derry goalkeeper Gerard Doherty was forced into action. A long kick forward found Roddy Collins out of position and he exchanged passes with Corcoran before hooking it back into the path of his team mate, whose close range shot was kept out at the near post.

Derry failed to heed that early warning and just four minutes in they were a goal behind. Corcoran played the ball too easily in behind Collins, Karl Moore raced into the area from the left before pulling the ball back for Byrne, who hooked it into the net.

City were fortunate not to fall further behind just two minutes later when Moore's curling effort was beaten away by Doherty.

Derry's equaliser was a moment of sheer brilliance from McEleney, who received the ball on the corner of the Bohs penalty area and curled it beautifully over the despairing dive of Murphy into the far corner to bring Derry level.

Any momentum Derry gained with that equaliser was ended almost immediately however, as just seconds after the restart, Patterson went in high on Dave Mulcahy. The Bohs man collapsed to the ground in agony and referee Anthony Buttimer produced a red card for the Derry striker.

Ten minutes into the second half, it was 10-men apiece after Corcoran kicked out at Cliff Byrne off the ball, an incident that escaped the referee's attention, but not that of his assistant, who informed Buttimer of the offence.

Bohemians: Murphy, Pender, Lopes, Mulcahy, Price (Wearen 45 mins), McEvoy, Byrne, Corcoran, Moore (Devaney 74 mins), Kavanagh, Beattie.

Derry City: Doherty, Collins, McBride, Byrne, Barry, Duffy (Curran 60 mins), Ventre, McGovern, P McEleney (Foy 82 mins), Curran (Stewart 74 mins), Patterson.

Referee: Anthony Buttimer (Cork).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph