Swift resolution as Dungannon players accept pay cut
Dungannon Swifts have taken Ryan Mullan and Ryan McIlmoyle off the transfer list.
Both were made available to other clubs last weekend after refusing to take a wage cut in line with the rest of Dungannon’s squad.
But yesterday the club confirmed they have performed a u-turn and accepted the cut — and both will now be staying at Stangmore Park.
Swifts boss Dixie Robinson said he is delighted by the news.
“Macca and Mully have agreed to take the wage cut and are both staying at the club,” he said.
“They are now both off the transfer list and I am absolutely delighted.
“This is very positive news for the club as a whole with all our current batch of players now having agreed to take the wage cut put to them.”
It is a massive boost for Swifts ahead of today’s match against Coleraine — the first in a double-header between the sides.
The Bannsiders visit Stangmore Park this afternoon, before Dungannon travel to the north west on Tuesday night in a fixture postponed from December.
And Robinson is hoping Swifts’ impressive start to 2011 will continue in the double-header against David Platt’s men.
“We are unbeaten in three games this year and I want that run to continue for as long as possible,” he added.
“Coleraine are sitting just ahead of us in the league, and both teams like to attack, so I am expecting a decent game.”
Robinson will be aiming for a repeat of the result from the sides’ last meeting, when Timmy Adamson scored a hat-trick in a 3-0 win.
“Our win against Coleraine towards the end of last year was probably our best performance of the season,” he added.
“While we’ve had great results against Glentoran and Linfield, in terms of the football we played, the Coleraine win is the highlight.”
Mullan will be absent this afternoon as he serves the last game of a four-match ban.