Belfast Telegraph

Belfast Telegraph Championship round-up, April 25

All the latest from Championship One and Two:

Championship One


Lisburn Distillery 0 Bangor 3

Lisburn Distillery took on Bangor in the last day of the Championship season, with both sides knowing that if Bangor won and Carrick Rangers lost, the Seasiders would be crowned champions. With a lot more to play for then, it was no surprise when Bangor started the brighter and they took the lead when Mark Cooling’s powerful shot hit the underside of the crossbar, bounced back out to the head of Dean Youle, who headed powerfully into the net. Early in the second half, they made it 2-0. Cooling played a free kick to Forsythe, he crossed to Morrow, who squared the ball to Andy Hall and he swept the ball into the net. Two then became three when Andy Hall whipped in a superb corner for Forsythe to head into the back off the net and seal the points for the Seasiders.


Armagh City 2 Knockbreda 0

Armagh City recorded a 2-0 victory over Knockbreda at Holm Park on Saturday, which sees them finish in the top half of the table. The sides were deadlocked at the interval, mainly due to an outstanding performance from the Belfast side's teenage goalkeeper Oliver Fletham who saved well to deny City's Stephen Murray, Andrew Hoey and Andy Moore in quick succession. But Knockbreda were always dangerous on the break and Jordan Hughes and Matt Johnston both went close in the opening half. After the break, however, City took control and they deservedly took the lead through Andrew Hoey, who looped the ball over Fletham after an incisive run down the right by Dale Montgomery. And, just four minutes later, Armagh doubled their lead when Philip Donnelly fired the ball into the roof of the Knockbreada net after another superb break from the rampant home side.


Championship Two


Banbridge Town 0 Annagh United 4

Annagh United travelled to Crystal Park in the knowledge that this was a "must win" game for them in their quest for promotion to Championship One. Veteran striker Shea Campbell bagged a first half hat-trick, opening his account with just two minutes gone when he ghosted behind the home defence to guide a McCann cross past Stephen Croft to give Annagh a dream start. On 32 minutes, Brown found Campbell in acres of space, and he made no mistake for number two. Right on the stroke of half time, Park did well to control and fire across goal for Campbell to pounce on the keeper's punched clearance and bury the ball in the net for his hat-trick. The comfortable win was complete on 67 minutes, when Gardiner was on hand to score after a Shea Campbell drive came back off the upright.


Tobermore United 3 Ballymoney United 0

Neil Lamont started, and completed, his first full 90 minutes of football since his terrible injury two years ago, and his strength and persistence saw him slot past Bryan Moore for Tobermore’s opener with 12 minutes gone. The visitors never really showed the same grit and determination in this game as they did in their previous two games, but Tobermore seemed to have got the message from their manager that last week's performance wasn’t acceptable, as they went looking to add to the score-line. Although on top for most of the first half, it took Tobermore until the 58th minute to get their second, when Seamus Brown reacted quickest to tap in from close range, when Moore could only parry a wicked free onto his crossbar that dropped invitingly for the big forward. Ballymoney did stage a late rally, but any chance of a comeback was ended when substitute Trevor Parkhill beat Moore with a wicked deflection, five minutes from the end.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph