Belfast Telegraph

Belfast Telegraph Championship round-up, March 14

All the latest from Championship One and Two:

Championship One


PSNI FC 2 Bangor FC 1

Top of the table against second from last, and the police, with injuries and suspensions, were without four of their regular team. Earlier in the season, Bangor ran out 8-0 winners, today was a different story. The police took a well-deserved lead on 25 minutes, when new signing Scott Adams took advantage of a mix-up in the Bangor defence, following a Mark Anderson free kick. Four minutes later, a long through pass to Kyle Agnew beat the offside trap and he made it 2-0 to the police. Within two minutes of the second half, Andy Morrow scored for Bangor when he headed in at the far post following a Bangor free kick, and for the next 30 minutes, Bangor laid siege to the police goal.  Goal-line clearances, the woodwork and last gasp defending kept Bangor at bay. On the 77th minute, Bangor were awarded a penalty, and Mark Cooling did a check on his run-up but McKay got down to save the spot kick from just inside the right hand post.


Championship Two


Tobermore United 0 Limavady United 3

Limavady's charge for promotion continued on Saturday, as they gained revenge for the Irish Cup defeat by their hosts, but the contest was somewhat closer than the score-line would suggest. The Roesiders took the lead late in the first half, saw off a second half response from the home side, and secured the points with two late strikes. Limavady broke the deadlock against the run of play when Morrison, out on the right, sent over a perceptive cross and it was headed in powerfully by McClelland. The insurance goal that was so obviously needed came on 72 minutes after the visitors were awarded a free kick just outside the box which Owens lashed into the net and Friel's persistence was rewarded two minutes into injury time when he latched onto Brown's perfectly-flighted long ball to slide the ball into the net.


Wakehurst 0 Dollingstown 2

Dollingstown made the trip to Castledawson for the second time in the last few weeks and this time came away with a comfortable 2-0 win. Striker Chris Kingsberry was carried off in the first five minutes with badly damaged ankle ligaments but the Dollybirds did open the scoring in the 25th minute when a long ball over the top from the recalled Gareth Ringland found Thompson, who was pulled back in the area, and skipper Moffett duly converted the penalty. On 57 minutes, Wakehurst should have equalised when they too were awarded a spot kick but leading scorer Conor Gregg fired against the bar and the chance was lost. Dollingstown scored their second on 70 minutes, when central defender Neil King crucially headed home from a Clydesdale corner.


Sport & Leisure Swifts 3 Glebe Rangers 1

The game was played at Tillysburn Park, the home of H&W Welders, and Sport and Leisure would like to offer sincere thanks to the Welders for their generosity. On 8 minutes, the match swung in Leisure’s favour when Glebe's Sam Shaw was sent off for an altercation with McAuley. Any notion that Leisure would use this to their advantage quickly disappeared, as Glebe continued to play all the football and deservedly took the lead on 30 minutes, when David Paul slotted home at the back post. Leisure took control off the match in the second half and missed chance after chance until the 64th minute, when from a corner kick, Gallagher forced a great save from Gregg Shannon, but the ball fell to substitute Thompson who scored with his first touch. Leisure were dominant now, and scored their second in the 72nd minute from another Daly corner, this time finished by McAuley. The game was made safe on 85 minutes, when Kevin Lynch scored.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph