Belfast Telegraph

Championship round-ups, April 19

Championship One

Dergview 1 Ballyclare Comrades 5

Dergview find themselves firmly in the relegation mix after Richard Clarke's men went down heavily to Ballyclare Comrades in their final home match of the season on Saturday.

The hosts went into the game in the knowledge that three points would all but secure their Championship One status for another season.
However Comrades' five-goal win combined with Coagh United's 3-1 win at home to Donegal Celtic leaves the Hagan Park men just three points behind Dergview with two games remaining.

Kyle Agnew had fired the visitors into a 28th minute lead, however a second half purple patch that yielded three goals in seven minutes ended the match as a contest and leaves the Darragh Park outfit firmly in the relegation fight.

Both sides showed early enterprise with the visitors having a goal chalked off for offside before Joel Cooper's audacious chipped effort was well saved by Alan Buchanan.
At the opposite end a surging run through the middle by Richard Clarke almost opened the door for Aaron Arkinson who, moments later, was beaten to the ball by visiting goalkeeper Jonah Nicholl, in the wake of excellent build-up play by Clarke and Adam Lecky.

Dergview appeared to be gaining the upper hand and on 17 minutes the hosts almost took the lead when Adam Lecky and Arkinson combined to send Wallace scampering down the left channel to cannon a shot against Nicholl's near post..
The hosts continued to shade the verdict but on 28 minutes Comrades forged ahead when striker Mark Wilkinson released danger man Agnew who volleyed the ball across Buchanan and inside the far post.

Dergview reshuffled their pack at the interval with Andy Sproule and Jonny Cresswell entering the fray. And four minutes in the hosts should have equalised when Clarke's searching ball sent Arkinson sprinting clear on the left but the attacker's shot found the side-netting.
That missed opportunity became critical when Cooper expertly curled a free kick over the Dergview wall and beyond the reach of Buchanan.
Three minutes later it was 3-0. Again Cooper did the damage with a jinking run on the left to tee-up defender Adam McCart who blasted an unstoppable shot to Buchanan's top left hand corner.

Shortly after the hour mark Comrades extended their advantage. This time it was a lung-bursting run by Agnew that had the hosts in retreat, leaving spearhead Wilkinson to finish from close range.

Dergview eventually regained their composure and with 15 minutes remaining should have pulled a goal back when Arkinson wriggled free on the left to stand up the perfect cross for Wallace, who somehow headed over.

The home side's misery was complete when Cooper again provided the assist for Daniel Ellis to score. A late Clarke free kick proved to be a consolation.

Championship 2

Armagh City 6 Wakehurst 0

A second half hat-trick by Armagh City striker Stephen Murray put Wakehurst to the sword at Holm Park on Saturday. That brought the big striker's goal tally for the season to 40 and confirms his status as the most potent hit-man in Belfast Telegraph Championship Two.

Armagh began strongly and had three great opportunities to take the the lead with headers from Dara Noonan and Gareth Grimley, while Murray was also denied by a brave save from visiting goalkeeper Ryan Curry.

The home team made the breakthrough on 34 minutes when Murray won the ball on the right and crossed into the box where Grimley arrived to stab a low shot into the back of the net.   

City doubled the scoreline five minutes later when a through pass was picked up by Shea McGerrigan, who placed the ball underneath the advancing Curry.

After the break the visitors took the game to Armagh, but on 60 minutes City broke through Grimley, who squared a pass into the path of Murray to make no mistake from 15-yards out. And, within two minutes, it was 4-0 when Murray touched home at the near post after an inch-perfect cross from Shea McGerrigan. On 66 minutes Murray completed his hat-trick when he raced past his marker and dispatched another accurate shot to the net.

With almost the last kick of the game Armagh sub Kevin Keegan made it 6-0 when he rifled home an angled shot after an initial effort from Grimley was well save by the acrobatic Curry.

In the end a comfortable win for City who keep on track for divisional honours this season.

Sport and Leisure Swifts 3 Annagh United 1
Leisure returned to action following the disappointment of the 1-0 loss against Queen's University on Tuesday night.

Leisure looked up for the game from the off when John Donnan cut in from close to the corner flag and hit a wonderful strike in off the far post.

Annagh responded well it was no surprise when they equalised through Ryan Murphy. Leisure took advantage of a Nesbitt sending off for a second bookable offence, when Gallagher raced onto a long ball and slotted under the Annagh Keeper Wright to make it 2-1.

Leisure battled well to keep the lead until half-time. The second half started with Annagh bringing Shay Campbell on and he certainly made a difference putting the Leisure defence under a lot of pressure.

Packy McAllister also made a change bringing the veteran Neil Corr on for his experience. Leisure went 3-1 up on 55 minutes when Cunningham played Gallagher in and he finished well. The Leisure players battled hard and their luck held out when Cunningham cleared a Campbell shot off the line and onto the crossbar, with Johnston completing the clearance.

Moyola Park 1 Queen's University 0

Moyola Park entertained Irish Cup beaten semi-finalists Queen's University at a sunny Mill Meadow on Saturday. Darren Walls was missing from the Moyola Park lineup due to injury, his place being taken in the starting eleven by the returning Michael Walsh.

The visitors, who were still in the Championship Two promotion race, opened brightly testing the Moyola Park defence. On 19 minutes James Lavery was through on goal but he couldn't control his shot which he skied over the crossbar from close range. Ten minutes before the halftime interval Chris Dowie evaded the visitors' defence but his shot went wide of Declan Brown's right hand upright and the first half remained scoreless.

After eleven minutes of the second half Eugene Gallagher's shot, following a Michael Walsh corner on the right, came thundering back off Brown's left hand upright and was subsequently cleared. Both sides made substitutions in quick succession as the half progressed and the visiting fans thought their side had taken the lead in the 72nd minute only for the referee to signal an offside decision having consulted his assistant.

Five minutes later Gareth Stewart's pinpoint forty yard pass was cleverly controlled by Gallagher who rattled the ball past Brown for the first and only goal of the game. The visitors piled sustained pressure on the Moyola Park defence as they needed maximum points from the game to keep in the promotion race. Marty Farniok was called upon to tip Mark Prenter's rasping effort over his crossbar some eight minutes from the end to keep the Queen's men at bay. There was a disappointing end to the game as frustration set in for the visitors and both Paul Prenter and goalkeeper Brown were given their marching orders in time added on.

Lurgan Celtic 0 Tobermore United 2

After the joy of the midweek win over PSNI, Celtic were brought down to earth when they lost to Tobermore United by two goals to nil.

An unchanged Celtic side failed to take advantage of at least three good chances in the opening period.

Prior to half time Celtic keeper Fox injured himself making a clearance and resumed after treatment but looked laboured and this had an effect when Tobermore were awarded a free out on the right.

When the kick was played in deep the keeper was rooted to the spot and a free header hit the back of the net right on the half time whistle.

The second period began with Fox being replaced by Fitzpatrick, usually a striker, and Haganwho made way for youth team player Caolan Lavery.

 The home side played some good football in the second half but couldn't make the breakthrough with Malone and Campbell coming close and Toland replaced Rogers half way through. The visitors wrapped up the points on 82 minutes when stand in keeper Fitzpatrick spilled a free kick and Clark netted from close range.

PSNI 2 Killymoon Rangers 0

This match had vital implications for both teams, Killymoon fighting to avoid relegation and PSNI fighting to gain promotion with their last encounter having ended in a 2-2 draw.

With manager Gavin Arthur being forced into a number of changes, due to suspension and injuries, it was a very nervous police team that took the field with Taylor Kirk and Lee Rushe getting their first starts of the season in the league team.

The first half was contested mainly in the middle of the park, and despite having the best of the play the police did not convert their possession into a goal until the 44th minute when Mark Anderson powered in a shot from the edge of the box, giving Matty Rainey no chance.

With the pressure eased the police team grew in confidence and Anderson doubled their lead with a from a free kick into the top corner.

Anderson almost got his third on 60 minutes when his shot from all of 30 yards glanced off the upright.

Despite battling for all of the 90 minutes, Killymoon were unable to penetrate a well disciplined and organised police defence. 

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph