Belfast Telegraph

NIFL Championship round-up, March 12

All the latest from Championship One and Two:

Championship One


Dergview 0 Armagh City 1

Shea Campbell grabbed a late winner to send Dergview crashing to a third straight defeat at a sunny Darragh Park on Saturday. Campbell headed home with just six minutes remaining to earn the Orchard County men all three points. Both sides signalled their attacking intent in the opening exchanges, with John Edgar dashing in from the right after good play by Aaron Arkinson and Blaine Burns, but visiting keeper Sean Morgan saved the Dergview midfielder's shot with his legs. At the opposite end, visiting attacker Tamer Atrach had a stinging attempt well held by Corey Wilson, who then got his fingertips to a low shot by Stefan Lavery to send it inches wide of the post. The second half proved something of a slow burner initially, but it was City though who always looked the more likely, and with the clock ticking down, the visitors grabbed the winner. Live-wire Andrew Hoey scampered free on the right to stand up a teasing cross, which Campbell expertly nodded inside the back post.


Loughgall 4 Bangor 3

Bangor took the lead on 14 minutes, when Paul McDowell glanced Aidan Watson’s cross home at the front post. And the Seasiders extended their lead when Gerard McMullen poked home from close range on 21 minutes. Loughgall pulled a goal back in the 26th minute, when Ryan hit a fantastic curling shot, from the edge of the penalty area, beyond keeper Darren Gibbons and into the top corner of the net. It was honours-even on 43 minutes, when Ryan smashed in a 25-yard free-kick, wrong-footing keeper Gibbons in the process. Ryan jumped highest to net his hat-trick, completing a remarkable turnaround for the hosts, nine minutes into the second period. However, on 66 minutes, Andy Morrow raced clear and lobbed keeper Buchanan to make it 3-3. Daniel Ryan scored his fourth goal of the game in the 76th minute, when he showed his pace to latch onto Marcus Dallas' forward pass, move into the penalty area and then cooly slot home past Gibbons.


Championship Two


Banbridge Town 0 Moyola Park 3

Moyola took the lead in the 10th minute, when a ball down the left wing evaded Wilson, and striker Conor Taggart picked up the ball in space before cooly lobbing the out-rushing keeper. The visitors' defence was very organised and Town struggled to create any clear cut chances. Moyola were awarded a penalty after an uncharacteristic error from Chris McGrath. Daniel McHatton put his powerful spot kick to Tuda Murphy’s left and although the big keeper guessed correctly, he couldn’t keep it out. The visitors were on top and bagged a third goal on 23 minutes. Adam Gray picked up the ball before turning and skipping away from two defenders. His low shot was well saved by Tuda Murphy, who got down to push the ball away, but Moyola striker Connor Taggart was following up and had an easy  tap-in to make it 3-0. Banbridge were awarded a penalty right on the half time whistle, when Harris was adjudged to have handled in the area. Captain Moffatt stepped up but Moyola keeper Mayburn had the measure of it and saved well low.


Limavady United 2 Dundela 0

Limavady were awarded a penalty on eight minutes, as Thomas Healy was adjudged to have brought down a Limavady player in the box, and Cathair Friel made no mistake from the spot. Jonny Sergeant was left helpless when the Duns defence failed to pick up Friel, who ghosted in to tap home his second, after the ball was fired across the Dundela box. The second half started with Sergeant again saving well from the impressive Friel. When Dundela were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box McClelland was sent off when trying to retrieve the ball off Wells, who was holding onto the ball. There was still time for Sergeant to make another double save, capping off a remarkable afternoon for the Duns stopper.


Dollingstown 1 Queen's University 2

Queen's nearly went in front on four minutes, when centre-back Chris McIlwaine headed over at the back post, and on 14 minutes, only a superb save by Shane McParlan kept out Matthew Hughes' pile driver from the edge of the area. Indeed, it wasn't until the 40th minute that Dollingstown threatened when, from a Tomelty corner, skipper Moffett headed over the bar. On 51 minutes, Queen's went in front. Dollingstown’s young defender Rodgers headed into his own net from a free kick, and a minute later, it was 2-0 to the students, when captain Moffett lost out on a challenge on the touch line to centre-forward Stuart, his cross saw Hughes get the goal he thoroughly deserved. DFC were back in the game on 73 minutes, when Lavery converted a penalty after a hand-ball in the area, but despite a Denver effort being cleared off the line from a corner, this was as good as it got for the Dollybirds, as Queen's took all three points.


Wakehurst 1 PSNI 2

This was a game not for the faint hearted. Wakehurst, lying bottom of the table and fighting to avoid relegation, against the team at top of league looking for automatic promotion. On paper the result was a foregone conclusion, but in reality, that was far from the case. Wakehurst's Conor Gregg was awarded a penalty after a challenge in the box in the 14th minute, Kurtis McCartney's spot kick was well saved by police keeper Jordan Williamson. Six minutes later, it was roles reversed, as PSNI's Owen Moody went to ground in the opposing box... and yet again, the resulting spot kick - this time by Shane Dolans - was saved, by Ryan Armstrong. The scoring was opened on the 33rd minute when a long clearance split the police defence and found the unmarked Peter Adams. His effort from 20 yards found the back of the net. Eventually, into the second half, the PSNI cancelled out Wakehurst’s lead, when a powerful Joe McWilliams shot from the right wing travelled across a crowded 18-yard box, and found the unmarked Moody at the far post. He blasted the ball to the back of the net. Police nerves were settled in the 76th minute, when Wakehurst's Andrew Laughlin headed the ball to Wright, who headed it back into the six-yard box, and the outstretched leg of Stuart Hutchinson wrapped the game up for the visitors.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph