Belfast Telegraph

NIFL Championship round-up, September 19

All the latest from Championship One and Two:

Championship One


Annagh United 3 Loughgall 2

Mark Stewart gave Annagh the lead on 16 minutes when his looping header from Brown's corner somehow beat Buchanan. Annagh were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and centre half Stephen Acheson found Buchanan flat-footed and put Annagh 2-0 ahead. Acheson nodded down to Jordan Campbell on the edge of the box and he drilled it home giving the home side a three-goal lead on 67 minutes. The final 10 minutes were to prove both lively and controversial. Robinson's save from Rea dropped in the box, Richie Allen’s attempted clearance ended up in the back of his own net on 84 minutes, and on 86 minutes Loughgall defender Walsh received his marching orders picking up his second yellow for a foul in the box. Annagh skipper Allen stepped up only to see his strike saved by Buchanan. The visitors were down to nine men on 88 minutes when Dallas saw red for grabbing Jay Gardiner by the throat and in a flurry of activity in the box on 89 minutes young sub Uprichard scored.


Armagh City 2 Donegal Celtic 2

There was a share of the points at Holm Park with the visitors twice having taken the lead. The opening quarter of an hour was fairly even with neither side making any real chances. The first goal arrived just before the half hour mark. From a rare Celtic attack, a cross from the left found the unmarked Paul Brown at the back post and the striker gratefully accepted the chance to give his side the lead. City were level soon after when an excellent strike from Philip Donnelly brought his side back into the game. But four minutes later, Brown once again gave the visitors the lead when he finished neatly from the edge of the box following a quick counter attack. The second equaliser came following good link-up play involving Cullen and Donnelly and was superbly finished by Andrew Hoey. City failed to capitalise on numerous chances and credit must go to a strong defensive display by the visitors which earned them a deserved point.


Lisburn Distillery 0 H&W Welders 2

It was the Welders who had the first chance of the match when David Rainey latched onto a Sammy Devine pass but smashed his shot wide of goal. Jordan Morrison was given his marching orders in the eight minute, which left Distillery with a mountain to climb. Both sides had chances, but the half somehow ended scoreless. Distillery started the second half on the defensive, and as The Welders took control of the game, Distillery’s luck was to run out with 20 minutes to play when David Rainey got on the end of a superb cross to head home. Minutes later, a second Welders goal put the game to bed. It was Rainey again who smashed the ball into the roof of the net after the Whites failed to clear their lines. Distillery heads dropped and Cahoon nearly put the league leaders further ahead when he dropped his shoulder, beat Lee Chapman and cracked his shot inches wide.


Lurgan Celtic 0 Dergview 2

Celtic missed two good chances with Fitzpatrick and Barton both shooting wide in the opening six minutes. Dergview began pressing the home side and came close on several occasions but their play was rather flat. On 33 minutes, Dergview were rewarded for their persistence when Burns beat two Celtic defenders and curled a shot past the helpless McCorry in the Hoops goal. Barton went on a great run beating three men but his well-hit strike was turned round for a corner by Boggs in the visitors' goal. Celtic were more lively in the second half but the home side failed to get an equaliser and Dergview wrapped up the points in the 88th minute after a McCorry clearance from a routine back-pass fell to a Dergview player who passed to Arkinson and the visitor’s captain finished off to seal the points for Dergview.


Knockbreda 1 Institute 0

This fast-tempo game saw both teams struggle to gain control and Knockbreda will consider themselves lucky to have come out of it with all three points. The visitors were denied the lead by a fine save by the home keeper to prevent a deflected own goal and when Institute had the ball in the net, it was disallowed for an infringement. On 30 minutes, a good Breda passing move led to a shot cannoning off the post and when it fell into the path of striker Jordan Hughes, he found the back of the net. The second half saw both teams have half chances and when the final whistle came, Breda had keeper Williamson to thank for holding on to a 1-0 win and three grateful points.


Larne 1 Bangor 1

Bangor started brightly and Paddy Flood in the home goal was at full stretch to tip away a Gerard McMullan header after only four minutes. Nine minutes later, Larne were in front. A corner from Gerald Gillan was dropped into the danger zone to find Keke who rattled the crossbar. First to react was Paul Maguire who hammered it home. Larne then began to take control with Michael Smith, Anto McGonnell and Maguire going close to adding to the scoreline. With 66 minutes gone, Bangor grabbed an equaliser when substitute Ethan Boylan’s shot took a wicked deflection over the head of Flood into the net. Flood produced an outstanding save to keep out a Mark Cooling free-kick and the Reds almost grabbed a last-minute winner. The ball fell to Maguire, who saw his effort strike the bar, it then broke to James McCabe but his shot was somehow blocked on the line by Dean Youle. The ball again fell to Maguire, but this time, keeper Chris Johns blocked the shot as the final whistle blew.


Championship Two


PSNI 3 Dundela 2

In the seventh minute, following excellent one touch football, Mark Anderson was put through on goal, and he didn’t miss. On 16 minutes, Gareth McLaughlin doubled the scoring when he was played in by Owen Moody. On 24 minutes, the roles were reversed when neat football saw McLaughlin deliver the perfect pass to Moody whose low shot went straight to the bottom of the net. Dundela reorganised and changed their formation for the second half, and they took the game to the police. If the first half was all the police, the second was dominated by Dundela.  On 47 minutes, Jamie Jackson pulled one back with a well-taken goal. The Duns continued their onslaught and the police defended to save their lives. Their rearguard was penetrated again on the 88th minute, when a header from Adam Neill ended up in the back of the net for 3-2 and the remaining two plus five added minutes was a nail-biting experience for the police, but they managed to hold out and claim all three points.

Limavady United 1 Queen's University 1

Limavady United got exactly what they deserved on Saturday, throwing away two points through the familiar combination of defensive frailties and an inability to kill off teams when ahead. With Cathair Friel failing to find the net for the first time this season, United laboured to create chances. The Students were definitely the brighter, so it was a surprise when Owens put Vady ahead on 11 minutes with a solo goal out of nowhere, letting fly from distance and beating Brown low into the bottom corner. Queen’s double substitution on 76 minutes paid handsome dividends three minutes later, when Allison whipped over a cross from the byline, which Tomelty met perfectly to stab home from close range. It was his first touch. Belatedly, United finally began to show urgency, but their only effort of note was in the last minute, when Devlin had a chance, which hit the inside of the back post before bouncing  agonisingly back into play.

Moyola Park 4 Wakehurst 1

The home side opened the scoring in the 28th minute when a corner on the left from McNamee found the unmarked McIlhatton, who headed powerfully past Maybin for his fourth goal of the season. Moyola doubled their lead in the 38th minute, when Harris was fouled in the box and Dowie fired in the resultant penalty. With four minutes gone in the second half, a cross from Gray dropped to McQuillan at the edge of the box and he scored with a half volley into the bottom corner to make the score 3-0. Moyola made the game safe in the 69th minute, when a corner by McNamee was missed by Maybin and McCartney unfortunately put the ball into his own goal.  Wakehurst grabbed a consolation goal in the 77th minute, when McAllister was adjudged to have made a foul in the box and McClelland scored from the penalty spot. The visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 78th minute, when Young went off injured with Paul Muir having made his three substitutions. With three minutes left, the final chance fell to McAllister following a corner by Gregg, however he headed wide.

Tobermore United 2 Dollingstown 0

Dollingstown were the visitors at Fortwilliam Park, and after a close and highly entertaining game, Tobermore emerged as victors with two second half goals. Matthew McGraw was in good form, denying Dollingstown’s Jordan Gibson and Glenn Hand. Dollingstown had a big call for a penalty late on in the first half, but referee Mr Taggart waved away their appeal. With barely 10 minutes of the second half gone, Tobermore got the breakthrough, when Trevor Parkhill got a touch on Niall Murray’s perfect free kick to beat McParland from close range. The lead was doubled on 67 minutes, when Ryan Winton’s left wing cross was expertly dispatched by Conor Dean, who was unmarked at the back post.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph