Belfast Telegraph

Nixon delighted with Bangor's fighting spirit against Knockbreda

Bangor 4 Knockbreda 2

By Keith Bailie

Bangor defender Colin Nixon believes the Seasiders showed great character in their comeback victory over Knockbreda.

The Seasiders were twice behind, before fighting back to record an impressive 4-2 victory thanks to goals from Jordan Forsythe, Andy Hall and Richard Gibson. The win increases Bangor's lead at the top of the table to five points with eight games left to play. With Ards, Larne, Harland & Wolff Welders and Carrick Rangers all lurking, it was a vital win for Garth Scates and his side.

Glentoran legend Nixon said: “It was a sloppy start for us, no doubt about it, but we did well to come back from being behind on two occasions. I think we showed great character to win 4-2, so hopefully we can keep that run of form going until the end of the season.

“We scored important goals at important times today. To score two goals quickly at the start of the second half certainly made a big difference. When we went 3-2 up, I was confident we wouldn't concede again and that proved to be the case. It was great to get the win.

“Every game is different but every team wants to beat us, that's what happens when you're top of the league, and rightly so. We've just got to keep going, keep picking up three points and keep playing our football, particularly when we are at home.

“We've got eight games left and we're going to make a big push for the Premiership. It's good to see the fans coming in their droves, and hopefully they keep coming, because it certainly helps.”

When Knockbreda opened the scoring early in the first half, it looked as if Josh Cahoon might be a thorn in Bangor's side once again. As a Harland & Wolff Welders player last season, Cahoon hit the goal that denied Bangor the Championship title, in a 1-1 draw at the Bangor Fuels Arena last April.

This time, Bangor struck back when Jordan Forsythe headed home an equaliser in the 20th minute. Bread retook the lead in the 40th minute when Dylan Wilson connected with a Matty King cross.

Bangor were back on level terms in the 52 minute. Andy Hall scored another one of his trademark free-kicks. Garth Scates' men had the lead within a minute. Forsythe completed a brace by heading home a Kris Pike cross. Richard Gibson finished the scoring with a 66th minute header.

Bangor will continue their title charge at Newforge on Saturday, when they face relegation-threatened PSNI. 

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph