Belfast Telegraph

Walsh winner for Bangor dumps Point out of cup

By David Mason

Bangor 1 Warrenpoint 0: Bangor boss Garth Scates saluted his troops after this shock Irish Cup sixth round win over Warrenpoint Town at Clandeboye Road.

Little midfielder Barry Walsh grabbed the winner midway through the second half to earn the Belfast Telegraph side a quarter-final outing against Queen's University on Saturday, March 1, at the Dub.

"The boys worked their socks off and certainly deserved the victory," beamed Scates. "I thought we created the best chances over the 90 minutes.

"Barry took his chance exceptionally, it was only his third goal of the season, but such a crucial one."

It was the Seasiders who roared from the blocks with Jordan Forsythe picking up a clever reverse pass from former Cliftonville striker Stephen O'Neill, before firing a wicked drive wide of the mark.

Two minutes later, Forsythe gobbled up a wayward pass from Warrenpoint midfielder Darren Freeman, charged into the Bangor box, but his low effort was expertly dealt with by Jonathan Parr.

The Premiership side hit back when Daniel Hughes' drive was spilled by Paul Cairnduff, but the big keeper was alert to deny Stephen Hughes' follow-up.

The home team grew in confidence as the interval approached.

O'Neill then missed a glorious chance for the Seasiders minutes from the break. Brian Hylands whipped in an inviting cross, but the striker shamefully headed wide of a gaping goal.

Bangor broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute. Dom Melly's deep cross picked up O'Neill, whose initial shot was blocked, but broke kindly for Walsh, who buried his shot into the bottom corner.

It was almost two seconds later when McDowell fired in a shot that Parr did well to beat away.

Substitute Ethan Boylan, a hat-trick hero against Larne at the weekend, could have killed the tie in the final minute after being put through by Forsythe, but Parr saved brilliantly.

Bangor: Cairnduff (Gibbons 60), Wray, Hylands, Youle, Nixon, Walsh, Hall, Melly, McDowell (Lambe 90), O'Neill (Boylan 90), Forsythe. Subs: Long, Cooling.

Warrenpoint Town: J Parr, King, S Parr, D Hughes, S Hughes, McCabe (Mulgrew 71), Freeman (Havern 71), M Hughes, Moan, Boyle, Devlin. Subs: Cowan, Sith, Grant.

Referee: M Courtney (Dungannon).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph