Jonny Evans: I need to be more careful after spitting ban
Manchester United's Jonny Evans has admitted that he'll be more careful when he returns to action from his spitting ban.
The Northern Ireland defender has served half of his six-match suspension after being found guilty by the FA of spitting at Newcastle's Papiss Cisse, who is also serving a lengthy ban for the same offence.
Cisse retaliated, believing he had been spat at by the Old Trafford star.
Evans has continually protested his innocence, denying that he deliberately spat at his opponent in a league game at St James' Park earlier this month, but accepts he will have to think about his actions in the future.
"I got the ban and I've just got to accept it. I didn't mean to spit at Papiss Cisse and I said that to the FA," stated Evans, who will start against Scotland in a Glasgow friendly tomorrow night.
"The incident happened and it wasn't until after I had seen it on TV that I realised how it looked.
"At the time on the pitch, in my mind, it was a misunderstanding from Papiss Cisse and I have sympathy for Cisse because he will feel he was dragged into the situation that wasn't really meant to happen.
"It's just unfortunate that both of us have got a ban at the end of it. I was unaware of the fact that I'd spat at the time and I'm sure in the future when I'm back on the pitch I will try to think more carefully about when I do spit but I was totally unaware at the time that I'd done that so that might be a bit difficult."
While sure to feature against the Scots, Evans also hopes to play for the first time in the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign when Finland visit Windsor on Sunday.
"These international games are bang in the middle of the suspension so it will be good for me on a personal level to get game time and minutes on the pitch," said Evans, likely to be partnered at Hampden by 19-year-old United team-mate Paddy McNair.
Speaking about his international debut, McNair said: "It'd be a dream come true and a very proud day for me and my family."