Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Keane committed to Ireland

New Los Angeles striker Robbie Keane remains "100% committed" to playing for Ireland.

The 31-year-old completed his move to Major League Soccer from Tottenham earlier this week and, while he is looking forward to his American adventure, he has no plans to turn his back on his country.

"Throughout my career I've always been committed to Ireland and that won't change," he said at his presentation on Friday .

"We have two massive games next month. I'm with the Galaxy and I'm 100% committed to them and then when I'm with Ireland likewise.

"Nothing will change unless the manager of Ireland (Giovanni Trapattoni) tells me different. I've been very fortunate with Ireland, had some fantastic years and we're in a great position at the moment."

Keane insisted he did not have to think twice about making the move to Los Angeles.

"It's been a hectic six or seven days," he said. "I got a phone call early Friday morning from my representatives saying they're interested. Straight away I told them to make the deal happen - that's how interested I was.

"I'd like to thank everyone who made this deal happen so quickly."

The former Inter Milan, Liverpool and Leeds forward had been linked with a move to Leicester before agreeing the switch across the pond, but insisted he had had no contact with the npower Championship club.

On whether he had rejected the Foxes, he said: "As a player I have to be asked [in order to reject] and the clubs have to agree a fee. As far as I'm aware the club didn't agree a fee with anyone in the Championship."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph