Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 24 May 2015

Bangor 0 Portadown 4

Portadown cruised through to the quarter-finals of the Irn-Bru League Cup thanks to three early goals that killed off Bangor’s challenge.

Ronnie McFall’s side took the lead in the eighth minute through Sean Mackle.

Ross Redman flighted a 40 yard free-kick from the left into the Bangor penalty box, Darren Murray’s initial effort was blocked but Mackle was on hand to drill the ball in from 15 yards.

The Ports doubled their lead in the 13th minute when Ryan Burns turned in a Murray cross.

Portadown grabbed another three minutes later, Burns heading in his second from a Chris Casement cross.

Bangor stemmed the goal-rush for 22 minutes until Mark Patton unlocked the defence with a smart left-wing cross, which was thundered in by Murray from 16 yards.

Bangor boss Frankie Wilson switched from 4-4-2 to a five-man midfield in the second half, which did a much more effective job.

Murray had two opportunities to extend the lead, while Burns fluffed a chance to grab his hat-trick.

Bangor were much improved, but this game was over early on.

Bangor: Dickey, Beattie, Youle (45 O'Kane), Hylands, Whitford, Justin (45 Fay), Murray, Scates, McLaughlin, Cahill (65 Morrow), Wright. Subs: Long, Lambe.

Portadown: Miskelly, Breen, O'Hara, Ramsey, Redman, R Burns, Casement, Tomelty (60 Lecky), Patton (71 Garland), Murray, Mackle (36 McNeill). Subs: McArdle, A Burns, Gartland.

Referee: Hugh Carvill (Belfast).

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Nightlife galleries


Latest Sport News

Stats Centre