Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Downey set for Ballymena United exit

Conor Downey (right) is set for a new challenge

Ballymena United have placed midfielder Conor Downey on the transfer list.

Exit door: Conor Downey is set for a new challengeBallymena United have placed midfielder Conor Downey on the transfer list.

Downey joined the Sky Blues in July last year but has failed to pin down a regular role in the United midfield.

Boss Glenn Ferguson is looking to freshen up his panel ahead of his first full season at the Showgrounds.

Former Carrick Rangers, Lisburn Distillery, Cliftonville and Linfield player Downey had another year left on his contract but he will now be on the move.

“We have decided to release Conor and we thank him for his significant contribution to Ballymena United,” said Ferguson. “We wish him well in his future career as we look to freshen up the team.”

Goalkeeper Stuart Addis has also returned to Ballymena United for a third spell.

The 32-year-old Lisburn based shot-stopper became Ferguson's second summer signing after Johnny Taylor's permanent move from Glentoran.

Meanwhile, Coleraine defender Howard Beverland has signed a new contract which will keep him at the Showgrounds until 2015.

And striker Mark Miskimmin has moved from Glenavon to Donegal Celtic. Miskimmin said: “I’m delighted to take on this newchallenge.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre