Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 2 October 2014

McVey signs at Linfield to end limbo

New blue: Kyle McVey has signed for Linfield

Kyle McVey has ended his summer-long transfer limbo by signing a 12-month contract with Linfield.

The defender had been offered a new deal by Coleraine manager Oran Kearney at the end of last season, which included a testimonial, but it was swiftly withdrawn after McVey entered into negotiations with another Danske Bank Premiership club without informing the Bannsiders.

That left him wondering where his future lay and despite training with the Blues during pre-season it wasn't until Linfield off-loaded David Armstrong to Ards earlier this week that they were able to make McVey a firm offer.

The 27-year-old, who Linfield had tried to sign in the past, has become the eighth player to join the Windsor Park club this summer.

He won't figure in David Jeffrey's squad for tomorrow's Premiership opener against Portadown though, due to a one-match suspension.

"I'm delighted to be signing for such a big club as Linfield," said McVey.

"It's a real pleasure to be here. I was at Coleraine for nine years and had a great time there.

"I spoke to David when my contract was up at the end of the season and he told me to come up here for pre-season.

"I've worked hard during pre-season and I must have impressed the manager, as he has asked me to sign and I'm so happy to have put pen to paper here tonight."

McVey will have to battle with Billy Joe Burns and Michael Gault for a place in the Linfield defence, with fellow newboy Mark Haughey also in the mix.

"There'll definitely be a great deal of competition for places, but I'm looking forward to the challenge," said McVey.

"Mark Haughey, Sean Ward, Aaron Burns can all play in the centre of defence and of course, Michael Gault and BJ Burns have been absolutely brilliant in defence in Europe. The target is to win trophies here, so there has to be tough competition."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre