Luiz to Chelsea the big deal as a whopping £1.18bn spent in Premier League
Chelsea have secured a remarkable return to Stamford Bridge for defender David Luiz after striking a £38m deal - a total of £1.18bn was spent in the window - with Paris Saint-Germain just two years after letting the Brazil star leave.
Personal terms were swiftly agreed with the 29-year-old and he was filmed strolling through St Pancras International train station before completing a medical in west London to seal one of the more remarkable transfers on deadline day.
Antonio Conte, the Chelsea manager, has failed to secure deals for Napoli's Kalidou Kouliably or Alessio Romagnoli from AC Milan but was made aware of Luiz's willingness to return on Tuesday.
Marcos Alonso, formerly of Bolton Wanderers and Sunderland, sealed a £25m move from Fiorentina, joining N'Golo Kante, Michy Batshuayi and Eduardo Carvalho in the capital.
Jack Wilshere's season-long loan switch to Bournemouth, meanwhile, also raised eyebrows after being informed by Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger that his opportunities would be limited this year at the Emirates.
The England international midfielder was offered lucrative moves to Italian giants Roma and Milan but, despite interest from Crystal Palace, has elected to link-up with Eddie Howe on the South Coast.
"He will bring a wealth of international and Premier League experience, so we are delighted to be able to welcome a player of his calibre to the club," said Cherries chief executive Neill Blake.
Mario Balotelli joined Nice on a free transfer, ending his nightmare two-year-spell at Liverpool.
The 26-year-old striker has agreed personal terms and passed a medical with the Ligue 1 club.
Balotelli was deemed to be surplus to requirements by Jurgen Klopp, having spent last season on loan at Milan.
The Italy international arrived at Anfield from the Serie A club in 2014 for £16m but failed to live up to expectations, scoring just four goals in 28 appearances.
Balotelli was signed by former manager Brendan Rodgers in what was described by many as a 'low risk' deal, yet Rodgers soon grew frustrated with the Italian's poor work rate.
The former Manchester City striker returned to Milan on loan last summer but suffered yet another disappointing campaign, registering three goals in 23 games.
Although Balotelli returned to training at Melwood earlier this summer, Klopp made it clear to the 26-year-old that he would not feature in his first-team plans this season.
Balotelli, once rated as one of the best young talents in Europe, will now hope to revive his career in the south of France.
The Italian's departure follows that of Luis Alberto to Lazio for £4.7m.
Newcastle United finally secured the £30m fee they have demanded all summer for France midfielder Moussa Sissoko after Tottenham dramatically stole a march on Everton by meeting their lofty asking price in the dying moments of the summer window.
It is understood that Spurs will pay £6m in five instalments across his five-year contract.
Tottenham also added Marseille winger Georges-Kevin Nkoudou to their ranks for an undisclosed fee with Clinton N'Jie going in the opposite direction on a season-long loan.
Premier League champions Leicester City also grabbed headlines with the club-record £28m acquisition of Sporting Lisbon striker Islam Slimani, reuniting the Algerian with international team-mate Riyad Mahrez at the King Power Stadium.
The 28-year-old joins the Foxes on a five-year contract after scoring 27 goals in 33 league appearances for his former employers. "To join a team like Leicester City is a huge honour and I can't wait to get started," he said.
"I've always wanted to play my football in the Premier League and to get the opportunity to do that with the reigning champions was something I simply could not turn down."
Stoke City enjoyed one of the more notable coups of the day by signing Wilfried Bony on loan from Manchester City.