Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 3 September 2015

Ballinamallard United 1 Glentoran 4

By Gareth Caldwell

Published 06/09/2012

A slick second-half performance from Glentoran saw them leave Ferney Park with all three points and bring an end to Ballinamallard United’s unbeaten home record in the Danske Bank Premiership.

Eddie Patterson's side had taken the lead through Andy Waterworth after 16 minutes, but the Mallards levelled through Mark Stafford just eight minutes later and Whitey Anderson’s men had a couple of chances to go in ahead at the break.

However, Glentoran raised their game in the second half and goals from Jay Magee and Martin Murray, as well as an own goal from Leon Carters, saw Glentoran ease to victory.

Ballinamallard started brightly with Andy Crawford unable to take advantage of an error by Glens goalkeeper Elliott Morris in the opening minute, while the home side also had an early penalty shout when the excellent Chris Curran went down inside the box under a challenge from Marcus Kane, but referee Raymond Hetherington was unmoved.

It was Glentoran though who were to take the lead in the 16th minute through the in-form Waterworth.

He was sent clear by Jim O'Hanlon’s fine ball and he gave Alvin Rouse in the Ballinamallard goal no chance, firing into the corner of the net.

However, the Mallards responded positively to the set back with Curran continuing to cause difficulties down the right hand side.

His cross was met by Steve Feeney, but his header deflected on to the bar before the home side levelled up proceedings in the 23rd minute.

A long free kick gave Mallards captain Mark Stafford a free header and he nodded the ball into the corner of the net.

Indeed, the home side could have taken the lead with Crawford and Carters having headers at goal while at the other end Jay Magee saw a header from a corner saved on the line by Rouse.

It was Glentoran though who bossed matters after the interval and they regained the lead in the 54th minute as Magee smashed the ball into the net after Stephen Carson’s free-kick from the right broke to him inside the box.

Glentoran controlled things after that with substitute Martin Murray putting the game beyond Ballinamallard with 15 minutes to go. He slotted home at the back post after a good move down the left hand side.

The scoring was then wrapped up in the 81st minute as the unfortunate Carters turned Sean Ward's cross into his own goal to leave it 4-1 at the finish.

Ballinamallard United: Rouse, McConkey, Keohane, Carters, Stafford, Kee, Curran, Hutchinson, Feeney, Crawford, Martin. Subs: McKenna for Hutchinson, McCartney for Martin, Campbell for Feeney

Glentoran: Morris, Birney, Kane, M Clarke, Callagher, Magee, Ward, McGuigan, Waterworth, O'Hanlon, Carson. Subs: R. Clarke for M. Clarke, Murray for O'Hanlon, Hill for McGuigan.

Referee: Raymond Hetherington (Dungannon).

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph