Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Bangor on crest of wave after win over Glenavon

Glenavon 0 Bangor 1

Marty Quinn’s super Seasiders are cruising on top of the JJB Sports Premiership table this morning after grabbing a dramatic late winner last night.

Former Glenavon striker Marty Verner was the hero cashing in on a rare break just five minutes from the end at Mourneview Park.

Verner climaxed a three man move, started by Andrew Cleary who released Quinn’s match-winner on Saturday, Noel Anderson.

Cool-headed Anderson stroked the ball across goal where the lurking Verner pounced to toe poke the ball under a hopelessly exposed Robert Robinson.

It was the classic smash and grab because for the most part Bangor were on the defensive depending on the brilliance of summer signing Andrew Plummer to keep them in the game.

The giant keeper defied Glenavon with a series of fine stops as the Lurgan outfit strove in vain to chalk up their first win of the season.

Plummer used his 6ft 2in frame to maximum advantage to continually frustrate the efforts of the home side.

Conor Walsh was first to test Plummer with a stinging low drive and as the game progressed he also denied Trevor Molloy and Tony Grant.

Glenavon were always in danger of paying the price for not making the most of their possession.

Grant fired in a cross shot which grazed Plummer’s crossbar, Willo McDonagh teed himself up but blasted wide, Grant was wide with a volley and Hugh Dickson went close with as header from Niall Hudson’s cross.

The Seasiders lived dangerously but on the stroke of half-time Nathan McConnell fired a warning when he whipped the ball just over and immediately after the break Robinson tipped a Verner free-kick for a corner.

But the home side refused to heed the warnings and now after two games Glenavon are firmly anchored to the bottom of the table.

Glenavon: Robinson; Hudson, Magee, Dickson, Carvill; Harper (Murray 57), McDonagh, Walsh, McCann (Turkington 57); Grant, Molloy (Liggett 75). Subs: Scates, Haughey

Bangor: Plummer; Cleary, Anderson, McMenamin, Boyd; Hand (Tumelty 70), Gracey, Irvine (Lockhart 70), Melly; McConnell (Morrow 60), Verner. Subs: Fitzpatrick, Youle.

Referee: Arnold Hunter (Maguiresbridge).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph