Belfast schools prepare for Celtic Cup
Published 29/04/2008 | 13:13
This year's Belfast Primary Schools' Football Club are busy preparing for the Celtic Cup.
The squad will follow in the footsteps of Northern Ireland internationals who also played in the tournament as primary school pupils.
The competition takes place at the Billy Neill Soccer Centre, Comber Road, on the 9 and 10 May and includes teams from Belfast, the Isle of Man, North Dublin and Dumfries & Galloway.
Belfast PSFC have already played four warm-up games - winning three against Shankill Juniors, Newbridge and Linfield Juniors. Their fourth fixture, against Shorts, is tomorrow night at 7pm.
The Belfast Under 12 select team for 2008 line-up includes:
• Patrick Osborne, Campbell College Junior School
• Mason McSorley, Braniel PS
• Andrew Foster, Cairnshill PS
• James Glover and Alan McMurtry, Edenbrooke PS
• Alexander Hill, Jamie McIlveen and Lewis McNamara, Inchmarlo Prep
• David McAllister and Sean McIlhone, St. Peter's PS
• Stephen Fallon, Eamon Hanna and Ryan Straney, St. John the Baptist PS
• Stuart Aldred and Alastair McIvor, Downey House Prep.
• Ross McCrae, Fullerton House Prep.
• Declan Kane, Holy Cross Boys' PS
Soft services company, Resource, provided the team with new specially commissioned clothing in advance of the bid for glory.
Speaking at the kit handover, regional director Scott Brannigan said: “Resource is delighted to support the team in the Celtic Cup. I would like to wish them luck in the forthcoming matches.”
Belfast PSFC won the trophy in the Isle of Man in 2001 and again in Scotland in 2006.