Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Candystripes in need of winning feeling after knockout blow

Galway United 2 Derry City 0

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City exited the EA Sports League Cup after a disappointing display at struggling Galway United last night.

It is now four defeats from four games for Kenny Shiels and his players, who failed to really threaten Galway throughout, conceding a goal in each half as they exited the first domestic cup competition without much of a fight at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Even so, it was the visitors who made all the running in the early stages, the returning Ben Doherty and Nathan Boyle impressive as City sought a quick breakthrough.

The closest Derry came, however, was from a lovely bit of skill from Boyle midway through the half, the striker turning sharply before shooting over the bar.

Galway were offering little in the way of a threat in the first period but, on 27 minutes, they were gifted a corner kick by Aaron Barry and took full advantage. Gary Kinneen swung a low ball into the Derry area and it somehow eluded everyone in a red and white shirt before it came to Kevin Devaney at the back post and he shanked the ball over the line from three yards to give the hosts the lead.

City's response was a poor one as they struggled to lift themselves and went into the break staring at another defeat.

They should have equalised within 10 minutes of the restart when debutant Cathal Farren found himself one on one with Ciaran Nugent, but the youngster hesitated at the crucial moment and defender Lee Grace nipped in to take the ball off his toe and the chance was gone.

Ten minutes later, City had another decent opportunity and this time it was Nathan Boyle with a chance on goal. The striker just needed to control the ball and he was through but his touch with poor and Nugent was able to clear.

Galway wrapped up the win in the final minute of the game when Vinny Faherty fired home after City had failed to clear their lines.

Derry now travel to Sligo Rovers on Saturday hoping to arrest an alarming run of form which has derailed their season after a positive start.

Galway: Nugent, Sinnott, Grace, Byrne, Holohan, Faherty, Conway, Devaney, Spelman (Cawley, 73 mins), Shanahan, Kinneen (Ludden, 74 mins).

Derry: Grimes, McDermott, Jarvis, McEneff, Monaghan, Boyle, Farren (Kennedy, 73 mins), Timlin, Doherty, Whiteside, Barry.

Referee: Anthony Buttimer.

Man of the Match: Kevin Devaney

Match rating: 5/10

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph