Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Haveron relieved as Carrick Rangers escape relegation after IFA ruling

By Graham Luney

Published 19/05/2016

Big call: Gary Haveron is relieved his club will be staying up
Big call: Gary Haveron is relieved his club will be staying up

Carrick Rangers boss Gary Haveron said he was “relieved and grateful” after his side escaped a sanction which could have triggered their relegation from the Danske Bank Premiership.

The club feared a three points deduction which would have left them bottom of the Premiership after it emerged that Haveron had not served a three-match touchline ban properly.

The Irish FA disciplinary committee said last night the club did not explain the failure to properly implement the ban, however it added the “interests of justice were best served by not imposing a sanction in all the circumstances.”

Haveron did sit out three matches but he should not have been on the touchline during the club’s victory against Dungannon Swifts on April 23.

The sanction for a breach of Article 23.1 of the Irish FA’s Disciplinary Code is a minimum fine of £350 and forfeiting the match on a 3-0 scoreline but Carrick and Haveron are off the hook.

“I didn’t see this outcome coming but I’m relieved and grateful,” said Haveron.

“It’s the end of the matter as far as we are concerned and I’m really pleased to have the chance to talk to my players and plan for the future. It was an honest and genuine mistake.”

"I and others at our club take responsibility for that. I'd like to apologise to Kevin Deery (Institute boss) and Whitey Anderson (Ballinamallard United manager) who have been placed in a difficult position because of this matter," added Haveron.

The decision confirms Warrenpoint Town's relegation from the Premiership, with the second leg of the promotion/relegation play-off between the Mallards and Institute to be rearranged.

United defeated the Championship side 2-1 in the first leg at the Riverside Stadium on May 6.

The full Irish FA's Disciplinary Committee statement read: "The Carrick Rangers Disciplinary Challenge was heard this evening. The Committee heard from representatives of the club and their legal counsel.

"The Disciplinary Committee considered the matter at length. It found that the Club did not explain to the Committee's satisfaction the reasons why the start date for the suspension set out in the initial charge letter (18 April 2016) was not complied with and therefore the challenge from Carrick Rangers was not upheld.

"The Committee took into account the points made on behalf of the club and decided to exercise its discretion under the overriding objective as outlined in Articles 1.6 and 1.7 of the Disciplinary Code and found that no sanction should be applied.

"In applying its discretion it took into account the following: what it found to be the honest intention of the club to serve a suspension, the fact that three matches had been served and points made regarding possible confusion in the way in which the suspension was to be implemented.

"The Committee was mindful of the positions of other parties potentially affected by this decision but found that the interests of justice were best served by not imposing a sanction in all the circumstances."

Haveron added: "I felt really sorry for the players over this. They deserved to stay in the Premier League."

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph