Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Coleraine 3 Limavady United 3

Coleraine won a dramatic North West Senior Cup Final on penalties but Limavady United will feel very aggrieved about the result.

They felt that Darren Boyce's injury time equaliser was well off-side and they seemed to have a good case as the striker appeared to be well beyond the last man.

Trevor Hutchinson and Lee Patrick had given the Roesiders a two-goal advantage at half-time. Rory Patterson and Gareth Harkin levelled for the Bannsiders.

Patrick thought he had won it late on only for Darren Boyce to equalise in stoppage time. Paul Owens was the only man to miss in the shoot-out.

United had an early chance to take the lead when Hutchinson provided a great through ball but Paul Owens’ shot was well blocked by Paddy McLaughlin.

United took the lead on 35 minutes. Stephen Lowry's inch perfect pass allowed Hutchinson to burst through on goal and this time he made no mistake firing past O'Hare.

Just two minutes before the interval the visitors doubled their lead.

Owens’ curling free-kick was headed powerfully home by Limavady captain Patrick.

Coleraine pulled a goal back not long after the interval when Rory Patterson forced the ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

The scores were level in the 74th minute when substitute Gareth Harkin slid the ball home off the crossbar from Eunan O'Kane's cross.

United retook the lead with only two minutes remaining. Lowry crossed for Sweeney, whose header was well saved by O'Hare, but that man Patrick was again on hand to stab the ball home from close range.

The Bannsiders drew level in stoppage time with a controversial goal. Darren Boyce appeared to be well offside when he slipped the ball past Matthew McGraw.

Coleraine: O'Hare, Crossan, McLaughlin (McVey 91), Boyce, Patterson, McCallion, McClements (Harkin 60), Mukendi, Canning, Dooley (Neill 91), O'Kane.

Subs: Watt, Hegarty

Limavady United: McGraw, McNutt, Rodden (Patton 118), McNulty, Spratt, Patrick, Owens, Lowry, Sweeney, Hutchinson (Jennings 73), O'Loughlin (McConaghie 91).

Referee: Paddy McFadden (Londonderry).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph