Belfast Telegraph

Derry City have a little something extra over Sligo

Sligo Rovers 0-2 Derry City (AET)

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City gave the perfect response to their weekend defeat at Cork City by booking their place in the quarter-finals of the EA Sports League Cup in Sligo.

The game went all the way to extra time before an own goal from Steven Beattie and a solo effort from Mark Timlin sealed the win for Derry.

"We're delighted to get into the next round," said manager Peter Hutton afterwards.

"I thought it was a very professional performance from us.

"We asked them for a response after Friday night and I thought we got it. Man for man they stood up and took responsibility."

Derry started brightly and Patrick McEleney fired a speculative effort just wide of Richard Brush's goal three minutes in before Derry came even closer just two minutes later when McEleney's cross from the left was met by Seamus Sharkey, who met it with a powerful header which forced Brush into a good save.

Sligo nearly broke the deadlock on the hour when and the ball fell for John Russell on the edge of the area and his brilliant snapshot struck the post.

Owen Heary then made his first change as he withdrew Kevin Devaney for Danny Ledwith, but after just two minutes on the pitch, the Sligo man went into a 50-50 challenge with Seanan Clucas, and caught the Derry man, only to earn a straight red card from referee Ray Matthews.

Derry had to wait until extra time before they made their numerical advantage count. McNamee sent a corner into the area and both Sharkey and Beattie challenged for the ball, only for it to hit the head of the Sligo man and bounce into the net.

The game was then up for a Sligo as Mark Timlin won the ball out on the left, shrugged off two challenges and raced towards goal before he curled the ball brilliantly past Brush and into the net.

"Seamus is claiming it and I'm not going to disagree," Hutton laughed.

"He played really well when he came on. The second goal was a great strike by Mark Timlin and I'm delighted for him because the last time he played here he was sent off."

Sligo ROVERS: Brush, Boylan, Peers (McManus 83'), Foln, Dykes, Beattie, Cawley, Russell, Devaney (Leedwith 75'), Cretaro, Cocoran (Nielsen 105').

Derry CITY: Doherty, Barry, McBride, S McEleney, Sharkey, McNamee, Lowry, Clucas (Curran 85'), Morrison (Houston 110'), P McEleney, Elding (Timlin 70').

Referee: Ray Matthews (Dublin).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph