Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Derry's Cup bid on boil thanks to Nathan Boyle double over Sligo

Derry City 2-0 Sligo Rovers

By Eoin Wilson

Published 20/04/2016

Rover and out: Nathan Boyle celebrates his second goal for Derry City against
Sligo Rovers in the EA Sports League Cup at the Brandywell
Rover and out: Nathan Boyle celebrates his second goal for Derry City against Sligo Rovers in the EA Sports League Cup at the Brandywell

Derry City cruised through to the next round of the EA Sports League Cup thanks to a Nathan Boyle brace at the Brandywell.

The striker, who memorably came off the bench to score twice against Galway United earlier this season, took advantage of a rare start to extend the Candystripes' unbeaten run to eight games.

After a low key start, the game got the spark it most certainly needed on 34 minutes when a moment of inspiration from two Derry players resulted in the home side taking the lead.

Barry McNamee broke up a Sligo attack 25 yards from his own goal and attempted to play the ball wide to Nathan Boyle.

The pass was intercepted but the loose ball was seized upon by Niclas Vemmelund, who whipped a superb centre into the path of the City striker.

There was still a significant amount for Boyle to do, but he switched on the afterburners and sped past Gary Boylan, before drilling the ball low past Micheal Schlingermann for his third goal of the season.

There was suddenly a zip about Derry's play following that goal and Boyle almost went from goalscorer to goalmaker when he popped up on the left wing and picked out a pass for Jordan Allan, but City's lone striker got underneath the ball and sent his shot high over the crossbar.

It got even better for Derry City on the stroke of half time as Boyle took advantage of a howler from Tobi Adebayo-Rowling, who completely misjudged the bounce of the ball on the edge of his own penalty area.

Boyle, sensing that the defender was in trouble, pounced to go through on goal and side-foot the ball expertly past Schlingermann to make it 2-0.

The Brandywell fans rose to their feet on the hour mark to welcome the return of Josh Daniels - on as a substitute - to the City first team following the Buncrana Pier tragedy.

Sligo Rovers substitute John Russell really should have pulled a goal back on 77 minutes when he raced through one on one against Gerard Doherty, but he sent his shot horribly wide of the target, and the game petered out into a comfortable Derry City victory.

DERRY CITY: Doherty, Vemmelund, McEneff, McBride, McCormack, McNamee, Allen (Patterson 71), Boyle (Daniels 59), McClean, McDermott, Curtis (Doherty 79).

SLIGO ROVERS: Schlingermann, Adebayo-Rowling, Donelon, Leahy, Roddan, Roberts (Place 79), Cretaro, Sadlier (Russell 56), Boylan, Keohane (Gordon 79), Martin.

Referee: Andrew Davey

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph