Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Football: Quinn despair after Swift double

By Kevin Hughes Jnr

I don't suppose anybody knows who was the first man to say of a football match that it's never over until it's over.




I don't suppose anybody knows who was the first man to say of a football match that it's never over until it's over.

But it's a fair guess that Marty Quinn is one of the most recent people to use that well-worn phrase.

Two goals in as many minutes by Davy Patton and sub Damien Whitehead seemed to have won it for the Bannsiders with 18 minutes left, but they didn't reckon with a similar double whammy from Swifts.

David Scullion squared with four minutes left and, just over 90 seconds later, teenager Mark McAllister ensured an unlikely home win with a smash and grab third goal that left visiting manager Quinn in thoroughly dejected mood.

"Words can't describe the way I feel at the minute. I can't ever remember feeling this way before. I'm so disappointed, but we only have ourselves to blame," said a despondent Quinn.

His opposite number was understandably thrilled with the blistering Swifts finish, but far from delighted with the manner of the victory.

"I made mistakes today. I should have had Mark McAllister on from the start, his introduction and a move to a 4-4-2 system worked tremendously well," said Harry Fay.

The first half provided no goals but there were chances at both ends, Davy Patton and Stephen Carson twice denied by Swifts keeper Dwayne Nelson, while an Andy Hamilton scorcher bounced over off the Coleraine crossbar and Scullion had a shot diverted past by Stewart Clanachan.

Swifts broke the deadlock after 54 minutes when a corner from McAree was headed home by skipper Fitzpatrick.

Quinn threw on all three subs and reaped the reward. McCallion crossed for Patton to head the equaliser, and two minutes later, Whitehead stooped to head into the net after the cross from Carson took a deflection off Gary Fitzpatrick.

The win should have been assured after 78 minutes when Patton should have had a second, but his header from Carson's cross was pushed onto the crossbar by Nelson.

The win still looked good for the visitors, but Swifts showed great determination when scoring two goals in the final four minutes to steal three points.

A corner from Rory Hamill was flicked on at the near post by Scullion after 86 minutes, with McAllister getting the winner two minutes from the end when squeezing a shot between the keeper and his near left post.

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Nelson 7, Wray 7, T Fitzpatrick 7, Montgomery 7, G Fitzpatrick 7, Hamilton 7, Scullion 7, McGinn 6, McCabe 7, Hamill 7, McAree 7. Subs: McAllister 8, McConkey 5, McCluskey 5.

COLERAINE: O'Hare 7, Clanachan 7, Henneghan 7, Neill 7, McVey 7, Beatty 7, G Patton 7, Anderson 7, D Patton 8, McCallion 7, Carson 7. Subs: Whitehead 7, Watt 6, Cassidy 6.

REFEREE: Michael Ross (Carrickfergus) 8.


From Belfast Telegraph