Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Glenavon 0 Lisburn Distillery 1

David Cushley’s strike in first half injury time condemned Glenavon to a home defeat which sent them tumbling out of the league’s top six.

The set-back in front of their own frustrated fans allowed neighbours Portadown, who beat Cliftonville, as well as Distillery to leapfrog them.

And Marty Quinn’s men have only themselves to blame.

With a strong wind and driving rain at their backs they peppered the Distillery goal for most of the opening 45 minutes only to be caught napping with time running out.

A blunder by keeper Andrew Plummer had Glenavon in trouble after only two minutes but they survived the scare and with the wind and rain at their backs gradually took the initiative.

But despite sustained pressure they were unable to break Distillery’s stout resistance.

Whites keeper Billy Brennan was inspired, saving low down to his right to deny Trevor Molloy and then was equally alert to thwart Gary Hamilton.

And when Brennan was finally beaten the ball came back off the crossbar.

With the game entering time added on there was a sting in the tail with Cushley poking the ball home from close range in a rare Distillery raid.

Molloy had a shot blocked in the 54th minute and when the ball rebounded to James Costello he blasted high and wide.

In the 55th minute Plummer had to save at Scott Davidson’s feet then denied Gary Browne, low to his right.

Browne had Glenavon hearts in their mouths again when he latched on to a poor clearance from Plummer and fired the ball back over the keeper’s head. Luckily for the home side the ball whistled past an open goal.

And when Trevor Molloy whipped over a cross Conor Walsh’s header was saved by Brennan and Kyle Neill couldn’t apply the finish.

Glenavon: Plummer, Shannon, Haughey, Magee, Neill, Costello (O’Carroll 67 mins) Walsh, McDonagh (Stewart 67 mins) Molloy, Grant, Hamilton (Miskimmin 71 mins). Subs: Harpur, Harper

Lisburn Distillery: Brennan, Callaghan, Hunter, Simpson, McShane (Devlin 45 mins), Davidson (Forsythe 84 mins), Thompson, Kilmartin, Cushley (Cooling 82 mins), Browne, Ferguson. Subs: Patton, Forsyth, Boyle.

Referee: Arnold Hunter (Maguiresbridge).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph