Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Job done for Bradley as Welders bow out

H & W Welders 1 - Glenavon 4

By Ian Callender

Eoin Bradley is well used to playing on heavy pitches in GAA games, so maybe it was no great surprise that he revelled in the conditions at Tillysburn as Glenavon eased past Harland & Wolff Welders in the Tennent's Irish Cup.

Bradley described the fifth round tie as a possible banana skin - they lost here, as holders, in the sixth round last season - but the Premiership side were not going to make the same mistake two years in a row.

"It was drummed into us all week what happened here last year but it was a good professional job this time," said Bradley, whose height and presence in the Welders' penalty box caused the Championship side problems all afternoon.

Indeed, he could have claimed the match ball, to add to goals by Andrew Hall and Joel Cooper, only for his 89th minute header to go over the bar, but he revealed afterwards he got a slight hand in the back just as he was about to make contact.

"Still a couple of goals in a 4-1 win, that what it's all about," he added. "Now we'd like another cup run. I wasn't here for the cup win two years ago but we're on our way now and have got past a possible banana skin."

The pitch may have passed a 9.30am inspection but around the same time Welders in-form marksman Michael McLellan was failing his own fitness test, stuck in bed with flu. And with manager Gary Smyth delayed in Liverpool airport - he arrived at the ground only five minutes before kick-off - it was a disastrous start to the club's big day and Glenavon ensured it didn't get any better.

Smyth, though, insisted the victory margin was unfair on his team.

"I don't think it was a 4-1 match, we were done at three set pieces which was really disappointing," he said. "But there was very little in it and after Scott Davidson scored to make it 2-1 we were in the ascendancy, but once they got the third our heads went down."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph