Belfast Telegraph

We won match fair and square, says Glenavon's James Singleton

By Graham Luney

James Singleton says Glentoran are coming across as bad losers following the Gary Hamilton eligibility row.

The Lurgan Blues fought back from two goals down to rock the Glens 4-2 at The Oval last weekend but Hamilton's presence in the visitors' line-up whipped up a verbal storm.

Hamilton scored twice at his old stomping ground and inspired the stunning comeback but Glentoran said after the game they were appealing the decision to allow their former striker to play in the fixture.

The player-boss was dismissed from the dugout during Glenavon's game against Linfield but concerns he would serve an automatic one-match ban disappeared when the Irish FA decreed that he had been sent off as a manager and not as a player.

Glenavon maintain that they sought clarification from the Irish FA and were told Hamilton must serve a one-match touchline ban which does not come into effect until November 24.

Lurgan Blues defender Singleton said: "Glentoran weren't complaining too much in the run up to the game.

"They would have been aware of the situation perhaps from the Thursday before the game on the Saturday and Gary was eligible to play.

"When they were 2-0 up we didn't hear them complain then either. It's only when we turned the match around and they lost the game that things changed. It was a very different story then. They did not play well and they lost the game. That should have been occupying their minds and they cannot look for excuses."

Glenavon are gearing up for a tasty mid-Ulster derby against Portadown at Shamrock Park tomorrow and Singleton added: "It's a big game and again, we have a point to prove after they turned us over at Mourneview."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph