Belfast Telegraph

Dykes urges Mallards to go on upward flight after win over Glens

Ballinamallard United 2 Glentoran 1

By Gareth Cauldwell

After seeing off 10-man Glentoran, Gavin Dykes has challenged Ballinamallard United to build on their first league win since October 1.

The visitors had Steven Gordon sent off following a half-time tangle with Johnny Lafferty and United capitalised with Ryan Mayse and Joshua McIlwaine on target ahead of Jay Magee's consolation.

"I'm delighted for everybody, it is a big win for us," said Dykes.

"I thought we didn't manage the game that well in the second half. We scored two great goals but we sat back and tried to defend and, as we know, that's not our strongest point.

"It's a big three points for us but it counts for nothing unless we go and build on it."

Dykes is working hard on strengthening his squad and confirmed that goalkeeper Richard Brush, who won league titles with both Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers, is Ferney bound.

"I think he will bring a lot to the club, he's not only coming as goalkeeper but as goalkeeper coach. Hopefully by next Thursday night we will also have another one across the line, a centre forward."

Glentoran boss Gary Haveron - who handed a debut to 15-year-old Ethan Warnock, the club's youngest ever outfield player - said: "I thought we should have been two or three up but we have got to take those chances when we are on top."

On the sending off, he added: "He (Johnny Lafferty) gives our boy a push on the way off and Stevie Gordon sort of reacts to it with an attempted slap, but it is a soft sending off."

Ballinamallard: Crawford, McMenamin, Taheny, McCabe (Feeney, 74 mins), McGinty, McKenna, Lafferty, McCartney, McConnell, Lecky (McIlwaine, 46mins), Mayse 6.

Glentoran: Morris, Birney, Magee, Gordon, McAlorum (Caldwell, 66 mins), Warnock, Harmon, Lavery (Foley, 57 mins), O'Flynn (Novo, 66 mins), Allen, Addis.

Referee: Raymond Crangle (Belfast)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph