Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Glens nick win over PSNI and also sign up Caldwell

Glentoran 1-0 PSNI

By David Mason

Published 02/09/2015

On the ball: Conor McMenamin on the attack for Glentoran
On the ball: Conor McMenamin on the attack for Glentoran
Marcus Kane

Glentoran boss Eddie Patterson left the team talk to his assistant Tiernan Lynch ahead of last night's JBE League Cup tie as he was busy securing the signature of Ciaran Caldwell.

Patterson, who missed out on Crusaders striker Diarumid O'Carroll last week, delved into the transfer market before the close of the transfer window to snap up the big 25-year-old midfielder.

Sadly, that was the highlight of the night at the Oval because this cup tie was a total bore.

To make matters worse, Glentoran had defender Jay Magee dismissed 16 minutes from time after an apparent stamp on PSNI striker Owen Moody.

Glentoran required only six minutes to forge into the lead, with Curtis Allen demonstrating his predatory instincts.

Marcus Kane's cross to the back post was met by the striker.

Although his header was bravely pawed away by goalkeeper David Harrison, Allen was first to reach the ball to smash home the rebound.

But as the fans awaited a goal avalanche, they were sadly disappointed.

Even though the Glens bossed the half, they had little to show for their efforts in terms of goal chances.

Defender Johnny Addis and big Kym Nelson did carve up the PSNI defence on 23 minutes, but Allen's bullet header flashed wide of the target.

The visitors threatened for the first time on 27 minutes.

Mark Anderson's wickedly hit free forced Glens defender Barry Holland to head over his own crossbar.

And seconds later Anderson's corner kick was met by defender Ashton McDermott but his acrobatic scissors was deflected clear.

Glentoran almost grabbed a second goal on 32 minutes but the diving Stephen Gordon just failed by inches to meet a delicious Holland cross.

Then, just before the interval, Kane was again the provider with a wonderful ball to the back post, but this time David Scullion's header was clutched at the base of the post by Harrison.

Glentoran upped the ante after the half-time cuppa.

Holland just failed to convert an Allen free kick before an Addis monster long throw was flicked inches past the post by the hard-working Kane.

Moody then went close to grabbing a shock equaliser with a clever volley before Magee's moment of madness earned him a red card from eagle-eyed referee Steven Gregg, but the Glens edged through.

GLENTORAN: Hogg, Holland, Kane, Magee, Addis, Gibson, Gordon (McCaffery 70), Nelson (Howland 60), Scullion, Allen McMenamin (Smith 46). Subs not used: McCullough, Garrett.

psni: Harrison, Blair, Blackledge, McDermott, McCullagh, McGeown (McLaughlin 85), Anderson, Hutchinson, Moody, Berry, McWilliams.

Subs not used: Simms, Quinn, McCullough, Gunning.

Man of the match: Marcus Kane (pictured)

Referee: S Gregg (Ballyclare).

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph