Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Institute 2 Glentoran 2

Glentoran win 4-2 on penalties

By Colin Speer

Published 11/10/2012

Jay Magee was Glentoran's penalty shoot-out hero in this entertaining Irn-Bru League Cup clash away to Championship high-flyers Institute.

The Drumahoe men were minutes away from causing a major shock after Darren McCauley and Michael McCrudden fired in second half goals to cancel out Stuart Elliott's opener, but Marcus Kane's equaliser in stoppage time ensured the Glens took the game to extra-time and spot-kicks.

Stute duo Dean Jarvis and Aaron Walsh missed from 12 yards, leaving centre-back Magee to fire home the all important winning spot-kick.

Institute made two changes to the side which lost at Limavady United on Friday night, with Stephen Parkhouse and Dean Jarvis coming in for Joe Gray and Graeme Taylor, while the Glens made a host of switches, in-form striker Andy Waterworth their most high profile absentee.

The first chance of the night went to the visitors on 18 minutes after a slick counter-attack.

Martin Murray broke clear down the right before picking out an unmarked Carl McComb with a pin-point cross to the back post, but his powerful header from close range came back off the bar.

The deadlock was broken on 22 minutes, Elliott finding the net from 25 yards.

The former Northern Ireland star intercepted a loose pass by McCauley before slamming the ball into Martin Gallagher's top left hand corner.

Eddie Patterson's side nearly doubled their lead soon after, Elliott's low centre finding Mark Clarke, but he could only drag his shot wide of the target.

Just after the half-hour Stute had to make a change when striker Darren McFadden, who picked up a knock after an earlier challenge, was replaced by Joe McCready.

On 54 minutes another slick move by the visitors should have ended with a second goal, but McComb's close range shot was well off target.

Then a McComb effort fell perfectly to David Howland inside the six yard box, but the midfielder blazed over with only Gallagher to beat.

The home side levelled on 61 minutes when McCrudden's cross was cushioned down by Parkhouse and McCauley made no mistake, firing home from the edge of the box, giving Elliott Morris no chance.

Stute took the lead on 64 minutes, a through ball by McCready releasing McCrudden and the midfielder making no mistake.

Glentoran were denied by the woodwork on 74 minutes, Murray’s effort clipping the post.

In stoppage time the Belfast men got out of jail, Kane turning the ball home from close range after a goalmouth scramble to send the game to extra time.

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph