Belfast Telegraph

Linfield's high five leaves Glebe singing the Blues

Linfield 5-0 Glebe Rangers

By Keith Bailie

Youtube footage of little Glebe Rangers celebrating their draw against Linfield in the JBE League Cup on their team bus certainly raised a few smiles last week.

The Ballymoney men did their best to park that bus in front of goal, holding the Blues to just one goal at Windsor Park for 76 minutes, only for their hard work to be undone by a late goal rush.

Goals from TJ Murray, Andy Waterworth, Ivan Sproule (2) and Aaron Burns gave the Blues a 5-0 win over the Championship Two side, who did themselves proud despite conceding four late goals.

Their fans certainly enjoyed the trip to Windsor Park, serenading the North Stand for 90 minutes, but ultimately Warren Feeney's men had the last laugh with five fine goals.

The opener arrived in the fifth minute when Sproule cut Glebe open.

His right-flank run and cross was converted by Murray.

The young midfielder, who was on loan with Dundela last season, stroked the ball home with the inside of his right boot.

Linfield missed numerous chances to double their advantage but Glebe held firm, until the introduction of subs Waterworth, Kirk Millar and Burns gave the Blues a new lease of life.

The much sought after second goal finally arrived in the 76th minute when Waterworth showed a bit of skill on the edge of the box and dispatched a fine finish into Chris Fullerton's bottom-right corner.

The third came three minutes later when Sproule capitalised on a rare defensive error.

The Northern Ireland international drilled the ball home from 12 yards.

Sproule got his second of the night in the 89th minute when he fired a long range effort high into the Glebe net.

Burns got his reward for his hard work in stoppage time, adding a fifth with a tidy penalty box finish.

The final score was slightly harsh on brave Glebe Rangers, but their travelling support enjoyed their big day out regardless.

Certainly drawing the Blues seemed like a good idea at the time.

LINFIELD: Deane; Foster, Hegarty, Stafford, Quinn; Murray (Burns, 68 mins), Callagher (Millar, 60 mins), Kee, Frazer; Sproule, Patton (Waterworth, 60 mins). Subs not used: Ross Glendinning, Reece Glendinning.

GLEBE RANGERS: Fullerton; Shaw, Shepard, Dobbin, McVicker (McClay, 75 mins); Brown (Lyttle, 67 mins), Kennoway, Beckett, Dunlop (McDowell, 56 mins), Spence; Wilkinson.

Subs not used: McIlveen

Man of match: Ivan Sproule

Referee: Graham McIlwrath (N'ards)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph