Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Manchester United seal Milk Cup Premier Trophy win

Manchester United 3 South Coast Bayern 0

Published 02/08/2008

Manchester United's Matthew James kisses the Premier trophy after his team’s 3-0 win over South Coast Bayern.
Manchester United's Matthew James kisses the Premier trophy after his team’s 3-0 win over South Coast Bayern.

Red hot Manchester United ended a five-year wait for more Milk Cup glory in Coleraine last night and handed coach Paul McGuinness his first success at the tournament.

Quality goals from Oliver Norwood, Nicholas Ajose and Federico Macheda crushed the American dream of South Coast Bayern who won many admirers with their entertaining performances over the week.

It was freescoring United’s third triumph in eight finals and McGuinness, son of former United first-team boss Wilf, was delighted that his talented team continued to find the net, signing off the competition with a hugely impressive tally of 20 goals in their five matches.

That hat-trick of Milk Cup victories gives United another place in the tournament’s history as the only team to win three Premier titles, with David Beckham leading the Old Trafford youngsters to their first win back in the 1990s.

He said: “The boys were superb and worked so hard in difficult conditions. I’m proud of them.”

The 13th minute proved unlucky for Bayern when United swept in front courtesy of a superbly executed Oliver Norwood free kick.

From 22 yards he got the ball up and over the four-man defensive wall, placing it out of the reach of Bayern goalkeeper Joseph Pacheco.

United’s attempt to establish domination was sporadically interrupted by the American’s dangerous striker John Fitzpatrick.

Three minutes after Norwood’s strike he fired in a right foot shot from the edge of the box only to see the ball deflected off the target.

United’s Northern Ireland under-19 international keeper from Glengormley Conor Devlin smothered another Fitzpatrick attempt after the forward had turned quickly to unload a low drive.

It took a brave goalmouth clearance from defender Scott Wooton to deny Fitzpatrick when he lobbed Devlin.

Wooton clattered into the base of an upright as he kept the Red Devils in front.

Before half-time Norwood collected Joshua King’s pass in front of goal but his shot was deflected for a corner. Federico Macheda’s backheel flick was stopped on the line by Pacheco before United grabbed their second on the stroke of half-time with Bury lad Nicolas Ajose chipping the keeper.

Matthew James’ speculative shot was deflected onto the post by Farshid Bagheri’s header although Pachedo got the slightest of touches on it while Fitzpatrick crashed a shot over the bar at the other end.

United sealed victory as King’s sweeping cross was hammered into the net from 16 yards by Macheda for his sixth goal of the tournament.

An offside decision denied substitute Edward Zepeda a consolation goal for the Americans near the end after Dersu Aboifathi’s shot had been pushed onto the bar by Devlin and Zepeda headed the rebound into the net.

Then Cameron Stewart headed a stinging shot from Aboifathi off the line five minutes from the end.

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More


From Belfast Telegraph