Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Murray wraps up Portadown's derby feast

Glenavon 1 Portadown 3

By Gordon Hanna

Portadown won this end-of-season Mid-Ulster derby at a canter.

Goals from Darren Murray and Gary Breen had the points all wrapped up with less than an hour gone at Mourneview Park.

And as if to rub salt in gaping wounds, Murray struck again in the 62nd minute to put the old enemy out of sight.

For Glenavon it was a case of after the feast the famine. They hit Lisburn Distillery for seven on Saturday but Tuesday night found the going a lot tougher.

Gary Hamilton's stuttering troops did, finally, find a way through when Mark Farren stooped to head Guy Bates' cross beyond David Miskelly six minutes from time.

But it was very much a case of too little, too late.

Murray was Portadown's dangerman throughout and broke the deadlock three minutes before the break.

Ross Redman whipped over a left wing corner and when the home defence failed to deal with it the alert striker hooked the ball home in a crowded goalmouth.

Kevin Braniff's curling free-kick, awarded following Ciaran Martyn's clumsy foul on Redman, had Andy Coleman scampering across his line to concede a corner before the Ports edged further in front.

Breen's thumping header from another teasing Redman corner gave Coleman no chance but only referee David Malcom seemed to think that the keeper had touched Redman's shot from which the corner was awarded.

There was no doubting Portadown's third, however. It climaxed a slick five-man move down the right wing and when Coleman parried a shot from Gary Twigg Murray pounced again.

Glenavon had just the one chance in the first half when Martyn burst through but stumbled as Breen came in for the tackle and penalty claims were waved away.

And just before his late strike Farren was released by Mark Haughey but while he lobbed Miskelly the ball dropped over the bar.

Glenavon: Coleman; McCallion, Haughey, Lindsay, Turkington (Hamilton 69 mins); Shannon (Hagan 65 mins), Kilmartin, Martyn, Gardiner (Neill 57 mins); Bates, Farren. Subs: Mitchell, O'Hare

Portadown: Miskelly; Gartland, Ramsay, Breen, Redman; Mackle, Mouncey, Braniff, Burns (McNeill 79 mins); Murray, Twigg. Subs: Patton, McCafferty, Leckey, McArdle

Referee: David Malcolm (Bangor).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph