Belfast Telegraph

Queen's 2 - 0 Lisburn Distillery: Distillery taught a harsh lesson by inspired Students

By Joshua Bunting

Queen's University took Lisburn Distillery to school with a fantastic 2-0 victory, adding to their ever-growing list of Belfast Telegraph Championship One scalps in the Irish Cup this year.

The Students, who beat Limavady United in the fifth round, overturned the odds once again with a convincing.display which fully warranted the final score.

It was also another blow to a club coming to terms with the fact their manager Tommy Kincaid had been taken to hospital with a suspected heart attack.

Queen's, lying second in Championship Two, had the first real goal-scoring chance when Nathan McConnell ran onto a through-ball from Chris Kingsberry. His shot was superbly kept out by experienced 'keeper Declan Brown.

Queen's broke the deadlock, as Bertie Fulton was found in the box from a long throw by James Lavery (pictured, with Distillery's Jimmy McIlhagga). Aaron Thompson flicked the ball on to Fulton, who took it down with his left foot, shuffled it onto his right and fired inside the near post.

Minutes later, it was nearly two, as Ryan McBride's goal kick was charged down by Aaron Thompson, before he sent the ball inches wide.

Queen's could well have doubled their lead in a counter-attack which ended with a spectacular Ryan McBride save from a powerful Lavery shot.

The hosts continued to pile on the pressure, and Distillery had McBride to thank once again, as he kept out a volley from Aaron Thompson.

The visitors had the first chance of the second half, when Darren Nixon had a shot cleared off the line by the Queen's scorer Fulton.

Queen's were awarded a penalty in the 50th minute minute, when Stephen McDowell was brought down by the Distillery keeper.

Up stepped Lavery, but McBride redeemed himself to save the penalty in fantastic fashion.

The Championship One men were left even more disappointed when Queen's went up the other end to score a second. Michael Allison tapped in from a Fulton cross to put the game beyond Distillery's reach.

In the end, the scoreline could easily have been so much more harsh on the Whites, and their debt of gratitude to McBride was underlined once again near the end, as the goalkeeper grabbed the ball from the feet of Mark Prenter as he was about to shoot.

Distillery's immediate thoughts will of course be with their manager, but in the meantime, this result may well signify the end of any faint hopes for silverware, as they currently lie 12 points off the top of Championship One, while Queen's are still in the Championship Two title race.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph