Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Sub Nathan Boyle bags brace to put Derry City on a high

Derry City 2-1 Galway United

By Eoin Wilson

Published 19/03/2016

At the double: Nathan Boyle scored twice for Derry
At the double: Nathan Boyle scored twice for Derry

Nathan Boyle scored a last-gasp winner as Derry City came from behind to defeat Galway United in dramatic scenes at the Brandywell last night.

The youngster, only on the pitch as a second-half substitute, brought Derry level with his first senior goal for the club to cancel out Kevin Devaney's opener.

In the dying moments Boyle latched on to Rory Patterson's pass to strike a memorable winner for Kenny Shiels' team.

It is now three successive wins in the space of a week for the Candystripes, the first time the club has managed such a feat since the summer of 2014.

Derry had to do it the hard way, however, as Galway United, on the back of a brilliant start to the season, took the lead early on.

The visitors were just edging the contest in the early stages and it was no surprise when they broke the deadlock on 24 minutes.

Colm Horgan's quick throw-in caught out Derry full-back Dean Jarvis to find Gary Shanahan, who worked his way to the by-line before hooking the ball across the face of goal where Devaney fired it past Gerard Doherty and into the net from close range.

It was very nearly 2-0 to Galway on the hour when Shanahan again got the best of Jarvis, and although his fizzed effort across goal was this time parried away by Doherty, the ball looked to be falling perfectly for Enda Curran, only for a vital interception from Niclas Vemmelund, who hooked it away to safety.

With Derry needing a spark Boyle was sent on in place of Harry Monaghan and the visitors' resilience was finally broken on 75 minutes.

Galway's defence failed to clear their lines from a corner, Ryan McBride collected the ball just inside the penalty area before finding Boyle in space.

He drilled a powerful shot across the face of goal and into the far corner of the net beyond the outstretched hand of Galways goalkeeper Conor Winn.

Derry sensed blood after that and Josh Daniels was denied a spectacular winner just five minutes from time when his shot, bound for the top corner, was incredibly kept out by Winn, who somehow got a fingertip to the ball to send it past the upright for a corner.

It was a magnificent save from the Galway United goalkeeper, but Derry City would not be denied and on 92 minutes they got the winning goal that their second half endeavours deserved.

Patterson's hooked ball forward caught the Galway defence napping and Boyle raced through, taking the ball in his stride before striking it low beyond Winn and into the bottom corner to send the home crowd at the Brandywell into raptures.

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph