Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Swift turn of fortune for goal hero Monty

By Kevin Hughes Jnr

Long-serving Dungannon Swifts defender Johnny Montgomery was villain turned hero at Stangmore Park against a battling Loughgall side.

Dungannon Swifts 3

Loughgall 2

The centre-back held his head in his hands after just five minutes when his blunder gifted possession to Paul Barron who pounced for a shock Loughgall goal.

But Monty's clenched fist was punching the air in delight a couple of minutes before the break when he gave Swifts the lead, Rodney McAree having levelled on 27 minutes.

The visiting side from a few miles down the motorway were desperate to gain something from the derby clash and their hopes were boosted when Barron finished from fifteen yards past Dwayne Nelson.

But the signs for the basement team were looking ominous after McAree squared the tie with an excellent despatch from twelve yards.

They were at a numerical disadvantage just before the hour when Noel Robinson saw a red card for a stamping offence and the winning gap was doubled to two goals just after the hour when Darragh Peden helped the ball into his own net after David Scullion crossed.

Swifts boss Harry Fay was delighted, both with the win and the manner in which it was achieved.

"It's not easy when you go behind in a local derby against a team that's fighting for their lives," said the relieved home manager.

"To be fair to the lads, they turned things around fairly quickly. It was a professional performance.

"We had a bright and breezy start but, disappointingly, gifted them the lead.

"That scrappy goal wakened us up and the guys all rallied round to undo the damage. And I was delighted to see Johnny get on the scoresheet, an unusual but pleasant occurrence."

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Nelson, T Fitzpatrick, Wray, McCluskey, Montgomery, McCabe (McConkey 83), McAree, Scullion, Everaldo (McGinn 71), McAllister (Burns 73), Hamill.

LOUGHGALL: M Robinson, Waddell (Stewart 46), Pentland, Peden, N Robinson, Liggett, Adair, Heron, Baron, Wilkinson (Davidson 42), Guiney (Greer 73).

Referee: Adrian Ball (Banbridge).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph