Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Belfast Telegraph Championship round-up, April 11

All the latest from Championship One and Two:

Championship One


Dergview 0 Carrick Rangers 0

Dergview preserved their unbeaten home record in the league, as both teams finished this hard-fought, and at times feisty, encounter at Darragh Park with 10 men. Visiting skipper Aaron Harmon and Dergview defender Neil Coulter were both red-carded for preventing goal-scoring opportunities as the last man. Harmon received his marching orders late in the first half for cutting down Nathan Cashel in full flight while nine minutes from time Coulter saw red when denying the excellent Miguel Chines a clear run at goal. In truth, neither side did enough to merit maximum points although in the final moments, the visitors' Kyle Cherry and Dergview substitute Darren Higginbotham both came within inches of winning it for their respective teams. The stalemate means that Carrick go a point clear at the summit with a game in hand over second-placed Ards, while Dergview consolidated their position in the top six.

Lisburn Distillery 0 H&W Welders 6

A poor defensive header by Morton back to keeper Ryan McBride fell short and allowed Mark Magennis to ghost in unnoticed to coolly slot the ball into the net. The nightmare start for the Whites got worse when Gary Smyth’s side were awarded a penalty, as Marty Young was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box, and up stepped Michael McLellan to confidently smash the ball into the net. Deans found himself completely free of a marker before pulling the ball back for Rainey, who set himself and fired past McBride from eight yards for number three. Smyth’s side added a fourth when Ryan Deans lashed a thumping strike into the bottom corner. Four became five when the unfortunate Morrison put through his own net as his attempted sliding clearance saw him divert the ball past the frustrated McBride, and David Rainey added when McBride had saved well from Deans shot, but the ball dropped to the predator, who calmly tucked the ball home.


Championship Two


Lurgan Celtic 4 Annagh United 0

This top of-the-table clash kicked off with Celtic playing against a strong wind and the visitors trying to use it to their advantage, but it was the home side who drew first blood when Daniel Ryan went down the right wing, cut inside, and passed to Chris Lavery who rifled the ball past a despairing Ciaran Fox in the Annagh goal. Seven minutes later, a Shea Campbell free was parried by Hoops keeper Conor McCorry and the loose ball was slipped home, but the linesman already had the flag up for offside against an Annagh attacker. Celtic’s defence were well on top, as Annagh fought to get something from the game, and Daniel Ryan crossed for Raymond Fitzpatrick to head home to double the lead on 35 minutes. Six minutes into the second half, Chris Lavery was taken down in the box and Raymond Fitzpatrick converted the spot kick. Chris Lavery completed the scoring on 75 minutes, after good interplay with Fitzpatrick.

Queens University 7 Wakehurst 1

It was a dream start for Queen’s, one up after just 2 minutes. Ciaran O’Hare flicked the ball to James Lavery, who struck an excellent lob over Wakehurst keeper Marc Maybin and into the far corner. Wakehurst came more and more into the game and almost scored when Jordan Lemon’s shot from the edge of the box flew just wide the post. It was no surprise when midfielder Stephen Mellon gabbed an equaliser on 31 minutes, striking home the goal of the game from 25 yards low into the corner of the net following a corner. Queen’s replied within a minute. Owain Beggs' corner was turned goalwards by Matt McManus and Lavery reacted quickest, hitting home from 2 yards. Three minutes after the break, Lavery completed his hat-trick when he headed in from a Michael Allison cross. This goal effectively finished off the game and in a very one-sided second half, Queen’s scored a further four goals through Owain Beggs (pen), O’Hare (2) and Sean Walsh.

Ballymoney United 4 Coagh United 0

Coagh piled on the pressure from the start with a strong wind on their backs, but found the home defence were up for the challenge. Ballymoney began to claw their way into the game and were rewarded on 25 minutes, when Stewart found the net after Coagh failed to clear a free kick. Ballymoney were denied when a great ball in by McKenna found Stewart, whose effort was blocked by Forest on 52 minutes. The home team continued to press, and with the wind now on their backs, scored in the 56th minute when Brown overlapped down the right and squared back to McKenna, who made no mistake from 10 yards. The game was a bit scrappy because of the weather conditions, however Ballymoney went further ahead in the 79th minute, when a McKenna free kick took a deflection of Gaston and when wide of Hasson and into the Coagh goal.

Banbridge Town 3 Glebe Rangers 1

On 34 minutes, a terrific save from Glebe's Shannon prevented a David Gray 20-yard ground shot from breaking the stalemate. However Gray was not to be denied, and one minute before the interval, he collected a throw-in before squeezing a well-placed shot out of the keeper's reach to put Town into a 1-0 lead. Town put some daylight between themselves and Glebe after 80 minutes when the alert Gray pounced on a sliced clearance from Shannon to blast past the helpless keeper for 2-0. However, three minutes later, Rangers got a lifeline when Town conceded a penalty through a McCartan hand-ball. McDowell made no mistake, and it was game on. On 86 minutes, Glebe keeper Shannon got his marching orders after an alleged stamp on Mattie McCartan as he lay on the ground following a clash as they raced for a loose ball. David Gray wrapped the game up for Banbridge and secured a deserved hat-trick in the 90th minute when the bang-in-form winger tucked his shot beyond the stand-in keeper's reach.

Dollingstown 1 Sport & Leisure Swifts 1

Both teams found constructive football somewhat impossible as the hard pitch, coupled with a strong wind, was making things difficult. The first 20 minutes were non-eventful until Glen Hand fired home from the edge of the area following a free kick on the left hand side. On 27 minutes, Swifts were awarded a penalty, but the referee changed his decision and awarded a free kick on the edge of the area after consultation with his assistant. Hand nearly increased the lead on 36 minutes, but his vicious free kick was pushed over the bar by the keeper. Leisure hit the post early in the second period and equalised from the spot on 55 minutes when Moffett went to ground and was adjudged to have fouled. The game ended as it began - uneventfully - and a draw was probably a fair result.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph