Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Belfast Telegraph Championship round-up, August 16

All the latest from Championship One and Two:

Championship One

Dergview 2 Armagh City 0

After a forgettable first half, two second half goals secured a first win of the season for Richard Clarke's Dergview at Darragh Park against Armagh City. The impish Darren Higginbotham was on hand on the hour mark to drill home the opener after substitute Tom Carlin skipped down the right and delivered an inch-perfect cross. The lead was doubled when the Leckeys - Adam and Richard - combined for Richard to slide home past Sean Morgan in the City goal.

The visitors did have openings with Stephen Murray's powerful first half header turned over at the other end by Jack Boggs and from the kick-off after Dergview’s second goal, the bustling striker tried his hand from the halfway lin, only to see Boggs scramble to eventually palm the effort clear.

A first win of the season for the Tyrone club who took charge after that first goal and played the better football.


Championship Two

Portstewart 1 Annagh United 4

Portstewart hosted Annagh United at Mullaghacall on Saturday, but failed to enthral the home support as they slumped to a 4-1 defeat at the hands of a rampant Annagh side. The visitors were 2-0 up by half time with Paul Stretton and Scott McCordick getting themselves on the score-sheet. And when Francis McCann added a third in the 66th minute, the game was as good as over.

Jonny Stewart pulled one back for the home side in the 75th minute, but Shea Campbell put the visitors out of reach in the 85th minute, snubbing out any threat of a comeback and securing the points.

Dollingstown 4 Tobermore United 3
Dollingstown had home advantage for the second week in a row, as Tobermore complete ground works on their playing surface.
DFC started very brightly and had a couple of excellent chances in the opening 15 minutes but failed to convert any of them. They went behind on 24 minutes when Peter Duffin fired home a free kick from just outside the box that goalkeeper Kris Fletcher could only palm onto the post and rebounded back into the net - and they maintained this lead through to half time.
Once again in the first 15 minutes of the second half, DFC squandered more clear-cut chances before finally getting a deserved equaliser on 55 minutes through Neil Clydesdale who fired low and hard into the bottom corner after a good run by Adam walker.
A turning point then came 10 minutes later when the Tobermore keeper pulled down Ritchie Thompson after he rounded him in the area, and the referee branded a red card as he was last man. Up to this stage, the Tobermore keeper had been having a superb game.
Captain Aaron Moffett duly converted the follow-up penalty kick to put DFC in front and five minutes later, they extended the lead through new signing Martin Hughes, who only signed during the week from Tobermore . And what a goal it was, with a delightful chip over the replacement keeper after a fine run by young full back Jake Redpath
Despite the man advantage, it was Tobermore who started to dominate the match and they pulled a goal back on 84 minutes through Trevor Parkhill and then stunned DFC with an equaliser on 88 minutes when the goal was credited to Dean Stewart in a goalmouth scramble.
Credit however to DFC, they never gave up and went in search of the winner which came in the final minute when Neil King headed home from a corner kick.
DFC would like to wish Richard Thompson and Jordan Gibson all the best for their representative friendly this week in Dublin for NI East Region against the ROI.

Wakehurst 1 Moyola Park 2

Moyola Park recorded a second successive Championship Two win on Friday at Mill Meadow, courtesy of goals by Chris Dowie and Eugene Gallagher. On this occasion, however Mervyn Pattison's men were the 'visitors' as it was Wakehurst's home fixture.

Dowie fired Moyola in front after 19 minutes from six yards; finding himself unmarked he took advantage to beat Wakehurst's 15-year-old keeper Aodhan Tolan. Wakehurst were on level terms six minutes later when the Gregg brothers - Ryan and Conor - combined, the latter slipping a left foot shot past Marty Farniok at his near post.

Wakehurst were revitalised by their equaliser and went on to look the more likely team to score for the remainder of the half. Conor Ross headed over the Moyola crossbar from 12 yards and centre-back Roy Colville brought out the best in Farniok to prevent a certain goal.

Moyola took the lead for a second time in the game when Gallagher bundled the ball over the Wakehurst goal-line after 53 minutes despite the best efforts of Tolan. In the closing minutes, Gallagher had a golden opportunity to put the game beyond Wakehurst's reach but he failed to get his effort on target. Nevertheless, Moyola's battling team performance was enough to earn all three points at the final whistle.

Next up for Moyola is a Championship Two fixture on Saturday against Sport and Leisure Swifts at Mill Meadow with a 3pm kick off. Then next Monday, Mill Meadow will play host to a Wasp Solutions League Cup 2nd round tie when Moyola entertain Irish Premiership side Glentoran. This game kicks off at 7.45pm.

Limavady United 4 Coagh United 0

Limavady United had their first home fixture in Championship Two against familiar opponents in fellow relegated side Coagh United at Rathmore Road on Saturday. The home side made a lively start, and could have scored within a minute when McMullan charged down Hasson's clearance, but the ball ricocheted wide of the post. On 6 minutes, Ryan Mullan was allowed to travel almost the length of the pitch before he put Friel through on goal but he rushed his shot, ballooning the ball over the bar.

Coagh's first effort came on 9 minutes as Campbell set up Taylor, but Mullan blocked his effort and the follow-up effort went just past the post. Friel had another chance on 12 minutes when through again, but this time Hasson was out quickly to block with his legs. The keeper foiled him again on 20 minutes, as this time Friel cut inside, left his marker for dead, and fired low and hard, but Hasson turned the ball behind.

Friel finally got the opener on 24 minutes, as he was first to Morrison's low cross, and from five yards out, he looped the ball over Hasson and into the net.

Coagh nearly hit back immediately, as Campbell shrugged off a challenge and shot low across goal, but McGraw got down smartly to block. Then McCallion made space on the edge of the visitors' box, only to fire wide, and just after the half hour, Friel had another glaring miss, as he put Marcus O'Kane's perfect cross wide from point-blank range.

He doubled his tally on 37 minutes, again proving far too fast for his marker, and running through to round Hasson and toe poke the second goal.

On 43 minutes Limavady got their third, a fine strike from Corey McMullan, who collected a long cross-field ball to volley past Hasson for an excellent goal. It was no more than Limavady deserved for their dominance.

The second half started with Limavady perhaps understandably taking the foot of the gas, with no significant action until Morrison's towering header inside the box was just wide on the hour mark.

Coagh kept on plugging away, though Friel ought to have a hat trick on 64 minutes when Hasson thwarted him again with a block inside the box, and when the forward did best him in a race for a loose ball, the keeper forced him too wide for a shooting opportunity.

Coagh nearly scored on 78 minutes as Campbell and Morrison came together and the ball was heading for goal until McGraw intervened.

Thornton had a hopeful free kick on 84 minutes, but again McGraw was equal to the effort.

Limavady then scored again on 86 minutes as substitute Brown got away from two men to cut back for Heaney who left it for McCallion to slam the ball home from the edge of the box to cap a fine day for the home side.

Lurgan Celtic 2 Banbridge Town 3

Celtic started the brighter and Raymond Fitzpatrick headed home from Chris Lavery's free kick. They dominated the early stages and should have been out of sight before Town equalised, when Downey lobbed over the onrushing Goff from the Celtic goal.

Five minutes later, Banbridge broke down the left, with Buchanan then scoring from close range. The Celtic defender received prolonged treatment for a knee injury before he was stretchered off and was replaced by Magee with Fitzpatrick going into defence.

Things got worse for the home side when Gourley prodded home, leaving the home support shell-shocked.

Niall Lavery replaced Paddy Rooney after half time and, after a sluggish start, Celtic took the game by the scruff of the neck but couldn’t manage a breakthrough.

However, after an attempt was cleared by the Town defence, the ball cannoned off Magee into the net to reduce the margin to one. The home team laid siege on the Banbridge goal, but a mixture of bad luck, with Chris Lavery hitting the bar and post and Croft in the Town goal making several timely stops, Celtic couldn’t get the leveller.

Just prior to the end, midfielder Colin Rooney was given a straight red for retaliation, leaving the 10 men to try and press for an equaliser which never came.


Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph