Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

NIFL Championship round-up, January 23

All the latest from Championship One and Two:

Championship One


Dergview 4 Annagh United 4

Nathan Cashel grabbed a late equaliser as Dergview and Annagh United served up an eight-goal thriller at a wet and windy Darragh Park on Saturday. Dergview forged ahead on 15 minutes. A long searching pass by Blaine Burns sent Patterson dashing in from the right and the Strabane man maintained his composure to fire low across the keeper and inside the far post. Shy of the half hour mark, it was 2-0. Arkinson broke on the right before finding the overlapping Gareth Porter, whose driven low cross was dispatched to the net first time by midfielder John Edgar. Five minutes before the break, Gardiner ushered in McElroy, who rolled the ball expertly inside Wilson's left upright to half the deficit, and Annagh restored parity when McCordick curled a free kick superbly high inside Wilson's left post. The home side responded positively on the resumption of the second half, and within a matter of minutes, had their noses back in front. An exquisite pass by Cashel with the outside of his right foot released Edgar down the left channel, and the midfielder steered the ball into the path of Higginbotham to slide home. The lead, though, was short-lived, and when McElroy was tripped in the box, Gardiner slammed home the resultant spot kick. The action continued end-to-end, as the visitors swept into the lead for the first time. Visiting midfielder Jake Keegan skipped clear on the right and when his dangerous cross was headed down, poacher supreme McCordick finished from close range. With seven minutes remaining, a glorious pass by Dale Maxwell sent Cashel clear to round Cox and finish with aplomb.


Championship Two


PSNI 3 Newington 0

In this hastily rearranged league fixture, Newington arrived at Newforge in the knowledge that in the previous three league encounters, the police had never managed a victory and that the police had their two centre backs suspended for the game, but manager Jamesy Kirk managed to field a strong side. Due to work commitments, he was only able to name four substitutes. As it turned out, none were actually required. The first half witnessed both teams playing attractive football with little to pick and choose between the sides. Both had chances early on, but the deadlock was broken in the 35th minute, when Kyle Agnew was put through by a perfect pass from Tyson Gray, and he had no problems slotting the ball home. The police started the second half the more threatening, and on 49 minutes, when Stuart Hutchinson pushed forward and received the ball from Lukasz Adamczyk, Dean Smyth in the Newington goal was given no chance. A number of excellent further scoring opportunities went a-begging for the police, either through excellent defending by Newington, lady luck or the offside trap. Adamczyk settled police nerves on 87 minutes when he completed the scoring.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph