Belfast Telegraph

Alacaraz out for up to five weeks

Everton boss Roberto Martinez has revealed Antolin Alcaraz is set to be out for a maximum of five weeks after it was decided the Toffees defender does not require shoulder surgery.

Alcaraz dislocated his shoulder in last Saturday's 0-0 Barclays Premier League home draw with Swansea.

And earlier this week Martinez said, depending on whether or not the 32-year-old Paraguayan underwent an operation, he could be facing between six and 12 weeks on the sidelines.

But, providing an update on Friday ahead of Sunday's league trip to Sunderland, the manager said: "We decided not to go through surgery.

"I think the specialist feels that is the best way to approach the injury, which is great news - it reduces the period that Antolin is going to be out for.

"We will find out over the next few days how he responds, but probably now we are talking three, four, five weeks maximum, which is fantastic news given what we feared earlier."

Martinez also said Everton full-back Seamus Coleman was a doubt for Sunday's match after he suffered a cut to his Achilles tendon in the Swansea game that required stitches.

Coleman was not part of the squad for Thursday's 3-0 home Europa League victory over Lille, during which the Toffees suffered another injury setback.

Midfielder Gareth Barry came off with an ankle problem and cut shin, and he will also be assessed prior to the Sunderland contest.

Martinez said: "This morning Gareth had a really long cut on his shin, but that is nothing to really worry about - the only worry is the ankle.

"He took a massive knock and we need to give it probably another 24 hours."

Meanwhile, winger Kevin Mirallas is expected to be back in action after his hamstring injury in "two or three weeks".

Martinez said: "The international break is going to be a great period (in terms of recovery) for Kevin.

"He is working really well, has stepped up his work and it is probably going to be a case of maybe two or three weeks."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph