Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Alan Pardew admits Crystal Palace must find greater attacking threat

Published 14/08/2016

West Bromwich boss Tony Pulis wants money spent on his squad.
West Bromwich boss Tony Pulis wants money spent on his squad.

Alan Pardew has reiterated Crystal Palace's need for a potent strike force.

His team on Saturday posed minimal attacking threat as they lost their opening fixture of the Premier League season 1-0 at home to West Brom.

The flaws present were the same as those that contributed to their poor run in the second half of last season in which they accumulated only 11 points.

Pardew has already confirmed he expects Yannick Bolasie to conclude his proposed transfer to Everton, and of his plans to strengthen his squad he said: "We need two strikers.

"Whether Yala (Bolasie) is one of them we'll have to wait and see."

Saido Berahino is among those to interest Palace and he impressed during Saturday's fixture, won by a second-half header from fellow striker Salomon Rondon.

Asked of that interest, Pardew said: "Any striker that is available - and I believe he isn't at the moment - is of interest to us, but our net is much wider than the Premier League.

"I don't think it's essential (to sign a striker before next week's fixture at Tottenham), because we might have to be patient with the window, and sometimes like dominoes, one falls elsewhere and it affects somebody else.

"There's a lot of movement to happen in the Premier League: definitely from the noises I'm hearing.

"Steve (Parish, Palace's chairman) couldn't try any harder. We have got some options that we could take, but we have to be patient as well; there's no point jumping into options we don't think are 100 per cent for us.

"Our communication's spot on - couldn't be better than it is - but it'd be good to get one over the line obviously."

Pardew was also asked of the presence of Chung-yong Lee in his starting line up.

The midfielder had been heavily critical of his manager for overlooking him towards the end of last season, but the 55-year-old Palace boss said: "I've never written a player off unless they do an incident that really is beyond the pale.

"Of course I'm going to upset players when I don't pick them; the only problem I had with Chungy was that I didn't pick him. He did okay."

Like Pardew, Tony Pulis also plans to strengthen. Following confirmation of West Brom's recent takeover by a Chinese group led by investor Guochuan Lai, the manager has demanded money to recruit new players.

They were convincing during Saturday's performance at Selhurst Park, but the manager regardless believes they need to improve in every position.

"All the way through the team," Pulis said. "Not reinforcing: improving. That's the big thing, we have to improve.

"This time round we have to get players who can improve us, and give everybody a lift.

"Players are waiting for people to come in, supporters are waiting for people to come in, so hopefully, fingers crossed, it'll be a busy two weeks.

"The new owner's been watching in China."

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph