Belfast Telegraph

Ancelotti explains Emenalo role

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has revealed he had no input in Michael Emenalo's promotion to assistant first-team coach, and he does not want the Nigerian to actually work with the team.

Revealing some of the tensions at the club in the wake of Ray Wilkins' shock departure last week, Ancelotti made clear that both decisions were made over his head, leaving him uneasy.

"I am not here to explain how I feel at the moment, because it is not the right moment," he said in the Daily Telegraph. "I'm professional, I will continue to work. I want to stay focused on my team."

He added: "The club made this decision (to promote Emenalo) after the decision on Ray. But nothing has changed, for me. Emenalo has been working with me before.

"He started when I came here last year. He was the opposition scout and was supporting me. He's not been involved in the training, and won't be, because (first-team coach) Paul Clement has been and will remain doing that.

"But nothing changes. It was not my decision, but he is working with me for a year and a half anyway."

In announcing Emenalo's promotion, a Chelsea statement had said Emenalo "will continue to oversee the first team scouting operation as he makes the transition to coaching" as he needed to gain additional qualifications.

But Ancelotti's comments suggest he does not want any such transition to take place.

When pressed on the matter, Ancelotti reiterated: "He won't be involved in the training sessions."

However, Emenalo will sit on the bench for matches, starting on Saturday at Birmingham City.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph