Belfast Telegraph

Wenger is banished to the stands for four matches

By Nick Purewal

Arsene Wenger has been given a four-match touchline ban for remonstrating with officials in Arsenal's 2-1 Premier League win over Burnley.

The Gunners boss will now be forced to sit in the stands for Arsenal's FA Cup trip to Southampton today, as well as three Premier League matches.

Wenger admitted a misconduct charge from the Football Association after appearing to push and verbally abuse fourth official Anthony Taylor in Sunday's dramatic late success over the Clarets.

Wenger must also watch from the stands during Arsenal's Premier League matches against Watford, Chelsea and Hull.

"Arsene Wenger has been given a four-match touchline ban with immediate effect after he was charged for misconduct following Arsenal's game against Burnley on Sunday, January 22, 2017," read an FA statement.

"It was alleged that in or around the 92nd minute, he used abusive and/or insulting words towards the fourth official.

"It was further alleged that following his dismissal from the technical area, his behaviour in remaining in the tunnel area and making physical contact with the fourth official amounted to improper conduct.

"The Arsenal manager, who was also fined £25,000, admitted the charge and requested a personal hearing which took place before an Independent Regulatory Commission."

Wenger was sent off by referee Jon Moss after allegedly using abusive or insulting language towards fourth official Taylor when Burnley won an injury-time penalty. Arsenal's French manager attempted to watch the remainder of the contest from the entrance to the tunnel, when he appeared to have pushed Taylor, who was asking him to retreat.

Andre Gray's penalty three minutes into injury time had Wenger incensed, only for Alexis Sanchez to convert a spot-kick of his own some eight minutes into the added time, sealing the Gunners' victory.

Wenger confirmed he would not contest the FA charge, then admitted his conduct had overshadowed Arsenal's gritty win.

"Yes, this team has shown qualities that are very important," he said when asked if his team's approach had been lost during the frantic ending at the Emirates Stadium.

"We are a team that has produced more goals in the last five minutes than anyone else, it shows that we are relentless and (have) a refusal to give in no matter what happens, we keep going."

• West Ham have completed the signing of Scotland forward Robert Snodgrass in a £10.2million deal from Hull City.

The 29-year-old has signed a three-and-a-half-year contract to become West Ham's second January capture, after Portugal defender Jose Fonte.

"I'm delighted because this is a massive club with great tradition," said Snodgrass. "The fans who come here and support week-in week-out and moving to and selling out this new stadium is terrific and I want to be part of it."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph