Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Baggies turn down Berahino request

Published 24/08/2015

West Brom turned down a bid from Tottenham for Saido Berahino last week
West Brom turned down a bid from Tottenham for Saido Berahino last week

West Brom have rejected a written transfer request from striker Saido Berahino.

The Baggies rejected a bid from Tottenham last week and Berahino has now asked to leave The Hawthorns, the club have announced.

The England Under-21 forward was left out of Sunday's 3-2 defeat to Chelsea, with boss Tony Pulis insisting he was not in the right frame of mind to play.

A club statement read: "West Bromwich Albion have received a written transfer request from Saido Berahino.

"The request has been rejected and the club's position remains unchanged from that outlined in the statement from chairman Jeremy Peace of August 18."

Peace underlined the Baggies' desire to keep Berahino - who scored 20 goals last season - after turning down Spurs' opening offer last week.

"We have no interest in selling Saido which is what I have told (Tottenham chairman) Daniel Levy," he said in a statement.

"I know we are living in an age where no club can say 'never' about the possibility of selling a player.

"However, the prospect of selling Saido is simply not on our agenda."

But Pulis has admitted the club would be powerless to stop Berahino leaving if Tottenham made them an offer they could not refuse.

"I'm sure Tottenham wanted to keep Bale and Manchester United wanted to keep Ronaldo so I'm not stupid enough to say 'I'm not doing this' or 'I'm not doing that'," he said last week.

Berahino came through the youth ranks at The Hawthorns, having made his debut in August 2012, and spent time on loan at Northampton, Brentford and Peterborough.

He has made 83 appearances and scored 29 goals for the Baggies.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph