Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 20 April 2014

Barcelona deny Fabregas price set at £58m

Cesc Fabregas

Barcelona's director general Joan Oliver has dismissed reports Arsenal have told them to double their offer if they want Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Fabregas has long been linked with a return to Barca, the club where he learned his trade as a youngster before moving to the Gunners seven years ago and the Catalan giants had a £29million offer for the Spain international rejected last week.

Reports yesterday suggested Arsenal are now prepared to accept an offer — if Barca increase their bid to £58million. However, Oliver insists they have heard nothing from the Barclays Premier League club.

“They said they would not sell, it's logical therefore that they have not set a price for him,” he said as he left a Barcelona board meeting.

“We made a formal offer. The only official response we have from Arsenal is that they are not ready to sell the player, for which it would be difficult for them to be putting a price when they say they are not selling.”

Oliver was keen to remind the public that in Barca's favour is Fabregas' “desire to come” and claims the 23-year-old “would want to sort it all out” as soon as possible.

He claims Barca are ready to complete the deal immediately but admits it will be impossible without the green light from Arsenal.

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre