Barton will continue to train with Burnley, despite FA charge
Sean Dyche has confirmed Joey Barton will continue to train with Burnley, despite being issued with a Football Association misconduct charge for allegedly making 1,260 bets over a 10-year period.
The Clarets had already announced they had agreed a deal with free-agent Barton for his return to Turf Moor when, three days later, the FA revealed it had charged Barton for allegedly placing bets between March 2006 and May 2016.
Given the sheer number of bets involved, Barton could be punished with a lengthy ban in the New Year, putting his proposed move back to the Clarets in January in danger, yet Dyche will still allow the 35-year-old to train with his old employers while the FA's case is ongoing.
Barton was at Turf Moor on Monday to witness Andre Gray score the winner in a 1-0 victory over Middlesbrough.
When asked if the midfielder can continue to train with the club, Dyche said: "I believe so. I don't think there is a rule about carrying on training unless someone tells me otherwise.
"Of course (Barton will still train with Burnley). This does not change my thinking on him on, who he is and what he's done for me.
"He's not actually a contracted player of ours, he's not registered with us. The FA will be dealing with Joey direct. We've had a chat with him direct and we had agreed some ideas in principle, but this is something between him and the FA.
"As they club said, they will speak with the relevant people as and when they need to."